Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited Web Access + Can't download Anti Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 djenkinz

djenkinz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

I am not an expert in computers, but I am adept enough to follow instructions to get things done. I would prefer to fix this problem without spending any money.

I have Windows XP on my HP laptop, which I have had since 2003. It has very few programs on it and very few documents. It does have approximately 16 GB of music (which I do not want to lose). The CPU works great - very fast, no problems.

The CPU was not used on the Internet for a few years and the Anti-Virus programs were uninstalled by me some time back. Two months ago, it was re-connected to DSL through wireless and ethernet at times. I forgot to install a new anti virus program, even though I did install AdAware.

Within the past week, these symptoms appeared:
- I can only access a limited number of websites - they appear to be the sites I frequent the most. Any other sites I try to visit, the broswer says there is a connection problem.
- I can get to the Google homepage and search a topic. However, when the results come up, I am not re-directed to any of the linked pages.
- I cannot download any anti virus programs from the internet.
- I cannot upload the 2010 Norton program from the CD.
- The computer runs a bit slower with the Internet plugged in. It also make a bit of noise like more programs are running then they normally are.
- Without the Internet, the computer works very fast and I have no problem accessing any programs.

Steps I have taken to remedy (nothing has worked):
- Called Internet provider who walked me through several steps to try fix.
- System restore - however the farthest back I could go was less than a week ago.
- Start in "safe mode" and install the Norton CD
- Run a full scan of Adaware
- Defragment
- Disk clean up

I am at a loss on what to do at this point. I am prepared to move all of my music and documents to an external hard drive and do a full system restore if necessary. However, I would like to avoid this so I dont have to re-install all of my programs.

Any advice or direction to a particular tutorial would be great.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EverWin

EverWin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hi,

Step 1: Create new User account (It always Helps)

Step 2: Download & Run http://www.combofix.org/download.php

Step 3: Control Panel>>Network Connections>>Local Area Network (Right Click Properties)>>TCP/IPv4>>
use this DNS instead>> 208 . 67 . 222 . 222
Alt DNS 208 . 67 . 220 . 220

This DNS will hlp Open all Websites.

if you are using Wireless, do same for Wireless Network Connection

Note: no need to put IP Address only DNS. remember only DNS (IP should be obtain automatically unless if it is manually assigned)

Regards,
harjit

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

please do not suggest / run combofix...
You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert...
please read this
ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Edited by abauw, 04 August 2010 - 01:54 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users