Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MERCHANT

MERCHANT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

HI GUYS
I HAVE 2 COMPUTERS BOTH RUNNING WINDOWS XP PROF SP2
I HAVE A INTERNET LAN CONNECTON .
I WANT TO USE MY INTERNET ON BOTH THE PC
I HAVE INSTALLED 2 LAN CARD ON I PC AND 1 LAN CARD ON ANOTHER PC
I CAN SHARE FILES,FOLDERS,DRIVES.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO SHARE INTERNET CONNECTION

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:27 PM

With Windows XP you can do the following.

Start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.

After ICS is enabled, and you make sure that all of your computers can communicate with each other and they have Internet access, you can use programs such as Internet Explorer and Outlook Express as if they were directly connected to the Internet service provider (ISP). When a request to the Internet is made, the ICS host computer connects to the ISP and creates the connection so that other computers can reach a specified Web address or download e-mail. To test your network and Internet connection, see if you can share files between computers and that each computer can get to a Web address.

Internet Connection Sharing is intended for use in a network where the ICS host computer directs network communication between computers and the Internet. It is assumed that in a home or small office network, the ICS host computer has the only Internet connection. While other computers on the network may have modems to access the Internet, their primary connection is through the ICS host computer.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:27 PM

franktiii did a very good job describing the access to the internet by the client computers thru the ICS host computer. And is the only way to go, with the way you have your computer set up.
If I may suggest you spend $45 on a basic router. I prefer the Linksys Network Everywhere NR041-WM. Nothing fancy it just works. With the router both computers won't have to be on to share the internet. The router functions as the host. DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) handles the network arrangements. It also has a NAT (Network Address Translation or Network Address Translator) which will help hide your computers on the internet. This is what most computer users feel is basic security.
Later you could get a print server fairly cheap. Again this is away to have both computers use one device without both being on. For now just share the printer from one computer to another thru your network.
I realize this is probably more than you wanted but I thought you may like the option.

Edited by acklan, 26 October 2005 - 07:28 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users