Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wuauclt.exe running often

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johntesh

johntesh

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

Windows XP Service Pack 3

My PC has been a bit sluggish at times and up to this point I've been blaming BitDefender. I decided to check out the Task Manager and I've noticed on that wuauclt.exe is running more often than I've seen it run in the past. Doesn't it always start after the PC turns on or has been restarted? Should it be running throughout the day? It also has been routinely running around 215,000 mem usage. Is that normal or absurdly high? I've also noticed svchost.exe with some high mem usage.

When I logged into this site, wuauclt.exe was running. As I typed this message, it disappeared. It has now resurfaced before I've even finished this post. It really feels like when Firefox hangs, it is because wuauclt.exe is eating up resources.

Thought?

EDIT: I also have Automatic Update set to check every day at 3:00 AM.

Edited by johntesh, 04 August 2010 - 11:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sketch71

Sketch71

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

One thing that you could try is to turn off windows update in control panel and disable the windows auto update client in services.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey look, buddy, I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like 'what is beauty?', because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems.

#3 johntesh

johntesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

One thing that you could try is to turn off windows update in control panel and disable the windows auto update client in services.

Ok, will this do the trick:

Steps to turn off Automatic Updates

1. Go to the Start menu
2. Select Run
3. Type in services.msc
4. Press enter
5. Right Click Automatic Updates
6. Go to Properties
7. Select Disable as the startup type
8. Click OK

I did that and now I'm seeing the little red X icon and Windows is telling me Automatic Updates are turned off. Now, when I did that, wuauclt.exe was NOT running. It is currently running after a few minutes. I've scanned with BitDefender, MBAM, and SuperAntiSpyware and my PC has come up clean. What gives? wuauclt.exe shouldn't be running now, right?

#4 johntesh

johntesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

Okay, in the Service window I hit "stop" and it killed the wuauclt.exe process, so I would think that would be a good sign that it isn't malware.

#5 johntesh

johntesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

Okay, in the Service window I hit "stop" and it killed the wuauclt.exe process, so I would think that would be a good sign that it isn't malware.

I went back, changed it to automatic and started the process in the Service window...seems like everything is running okay. Maybe it just kind of needed a hard restart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users