Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The computer that never sleeps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BigD_NC

BigD_NC

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

Hi there, in the "old days" when I was done with my computer I left it on, but after a certain amount of time it went to "sleep". That is the next day when I went to the computer room it was silent.

Now when I go it, the fan is still running and it sounds as if it is churning out spreadsheets. After a night of non-use.

Last night I logged out of my profile to see if perhaps something was running in the background but it still didn't sleep.

Also I noticed that the computer is slow on start-up, so I'm wondering if perhaps there is a background process running? I have worked with my startup list and have the minimum running so I don't think it's a startup application.

Any guesses??

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

You've checked the power settings/options in Control Panel?

If they are all set to "never", well...it's self-explanatory.

If you want to troubleshoot processes running...then you need to look at Task Manager, Process Manager, and such.

Louis

#3 BigD_NC

BigD_NC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:30 PM

That's what I'm saying, on startup there are no programs running.

All the others, i don't know what is critical to running the computer and what isn't.

As for CP settings, it is set to sleep at 10 minutes, hibernate never. In sleep mode should the fan (I assume it's the fan running) be running non-stop?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

<<That's what I'm saying, on startup there are no programs running.>>

You may not realize it...but there are a ton of things running at startup on any system...Windows processes, drivers, and software startup items. If you want to get an idea of the variety and types...download/install AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx.

There are also any number of processes (I would say, at least 20) that are running all the time and which should be reflected in Task Manager.

I can't answer any questions about sleep mode, I've never used it.

IMO...if the CPU is still working, the CPU fan should be running. If the system has any power supplied...the PSU fan should be working.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 August 2010 - 06:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users