Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer sloooow since PSU change

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 webbinator

webbinator

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask about this since it could be different issues going on at the same time. Anyway, a little background first. I came home recently from vacation and went to boot up the desktop computer. It had been unplugged the two weeks we were out of town. When I tried to power it up, nothing happened at all. After doing a little research I determined that it seemed to be a faulty power supply. I got a replacement that is rated for 430 watts to replace the OEM 300 watt unit thinking a little more won't hurt a thing. It's a Thermaltake TR2 W0070RU Professional 430W ATX. Got the PSU changed out, hit the power button and the computer powered right up. Problem solved or so I thought. Now the system is sloooow at everything it tries to do. It boots up slow. Opening and closing any programs takes forever, etc. It is slow to open Firefox, but once open it seems to browse at what I would call normal. I ran several utilities (Malwarebytes, AVG, Ccleaner) and came up with nothing unusual. I tried to also run Adaware, but it won't respond. It eventually brings up an error box asking if I have permission to run the program. I decided to try to uninstall Adaware, then reinstall it, and try again. It won't let me uninstall it. It gets to a certain point and just stops. Where should I go from here. Does this seem to be something to do with the new PSU or does it sound more like an operating system problem, virus, malware, etc? Thanks for any help.

Webbinator

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 August 2010 - 12:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EverWin

EverWin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:49 PM

Hi

no its not a PSU problem (well it can cause tho) but will diagnose Software first before jumping to any conclusion first.

Step 1: Open task manager & check if CPU usage is around 5% when system is IDLE.
Step 2: Create New User account to check PC performance.
Step 3: start/run/msconfig>>StartUp>>Disable all>>reboot>>Logon to new User account (Do Not disable services, be careful)

Regards,
Harjit

#3 webbinator

webbinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hello,

Ok, I'm working on your suggestions. So here is what we have so far:

#1 CPU usage showed to fluctuate a lot. It went anywhere from 0 to 65 as I sat and watched it for a few minutes.

#2 Did this

#3 Did this, where to now?

Webbinator

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 webbinator

webbinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

Should also add that it is worse today. It's painfully slow trying to do anything.

Webbinator

#5 webbinator

webbinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:47 AM

Ended up having to do a system restore to August 2nd. My computer had gotten pretty much unresponsive. It is atleast responding now, although still painfully slow. I checked the CP Usage just now and it's hovering right at 50% or just above sitting idle. ??????

Webbinator

#6 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

Check your HDD settings in the BIOS. They may have got set to PIO mode, which is very slow. They should be on UDMA or DMA at the very least. Perhaps change the motherboard battery, type CR2032 (see motherboard manual for details on how to do this), and reset the BIOS to its defaults.

#7 webbinator

webbinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

Checked the settings. Seems they are set to UDMA.

Webbinator

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#8 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Was it running normally prior to your vacation, i.e. before you changed the PSU?

Try booting up into the BIOS and going to the System Health tab. What readings are you getting for the voltages? Try opening and closing the optical drive door(s). Do the voltages change significantly?

Check all motherboard connections, not just to the PSU, in case you have inadvertently dislodged one (note that it is possible to have a dislodged cable that appears to be firmly in its socket, but is not making a satisfactory electrical connection).

Some information on your hardware would be useful.

#9 webbinator

webbinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Yes, it was running pretty much normal. The only thing I would call out of the ordinary was that the hard drive light flashed a lot and the computer sounded like it was processing something even if was just sitting idle. When I went to use it, it did what I asked in a reasonable / normal amount of time. Since the PSU change is when the major slow down has taken place.

I also hit F1 when the machine was starting to boot up. That took me to a BIOS screen, but I didn't see anything like a System Health tab. Was that the correct place to look for it?

Also checked connections. Unplugged and plugged back in everything attached to the mobo. Didn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks,
Webbinator

EDIT: Removed unnecessary quote...it is not necessary to hit the quote button to reply ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2010 - 03:38 PM.

#10 webbinator

webbinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

Operating System:
Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)

System model:
HP Pavilion 061 PC098A-ABA M1070N 0qq1114RE101PUFFE00
System Serial Number: MXK4321DQT NA430

Processor:
2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Main Circuit Board:
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Puffer 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3.04 07/05/2004

Drives:
160.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
79.29 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ASUS CD-S480/AH [CD-ROM drive]
LITE-ON DVD+RW SOHW-802S [CD-ROM drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
SAMSUNG SP1614C [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 30535831314a5830353730353136202020202020, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules:
512 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM2' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes:
c: (NTFS on drive 0)
154.29 GB
78.58 GB free

d: (FAT32 on drive 0)
5.73 GB
714 MB free

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2010 - 03:41 PM.
Edited for clarity ~ Hamluis.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.

Reboot the system...the chkdsk /r command will run and the system will boot into XP when the command has completed.

Louis

#12 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

I can't find anything at the HP site with the info given. Is the model number correct? Check this link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...duct=12455#N998

#13 webbinator

webbinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

Model number is M1070N

#14 webbinator

webbinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Did as suggested Luis. Results came back as "clean".

Webbinator

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hi -
Unless I have missed anything in the thread , the next usual step is sfc /scannow - Do you have the install CD -
Copy and paste the prompt into Run Box , insert your CD and click OK -
I would also D/load Speed Fan (free) as this will show temperatures as well as CPU usage at idle and in use -

Thank You -
EDITED to include Speed Fan link -

Edited by noknojon, 06 August 2010 - 05:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users