Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:52 AM
I have been having problems with my computer lately as my antivirus (Norton IS 2010) is detecting and fixing "downloader" viruses almost everyday and trojans three times in the last month. I have done full system scans with Norton and AdAware and they do not find any problems. However, almost each day when I start my computer and after Norton updates, Norton finds either a downloader or trojan. After reviewing some of the forums in Bleeping Computer and reading suggestions from Norton on how to remove these malwares, I followed the following steps:
1. ensured my Norton and AdAware softwares were up to date,
2. rebooted my computer in safe mode,
3. turned off system recovery in Windows,
4. performed full system scan with Norton (detected nothing) and rebooted in safe mode,
5. performed full system scan with AdAware (detected nothing) and rebooted,
6. finally, I ran Hijack This software and the log file does not seem to contain any problems but I am no expert!
Hence, my question is: does the log file indeed confirm that my computer is now clean? If so, how can I be sure? Can I assume that maybe Norton has finally removed all the threats? Obviously, all this has made me very paranoid with using internet.
Thank you very much for any help you may provide.