Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Slow Down Caused by wuauclt.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wcooke

wcooke

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

For the past few weeks I've experienced a problem with my computer running extreamly slowly for about ten minutes after boot. During this time the hard drive light will be on continuously. I checked processes using Windows Task Manager and noticed that wuauclt.exe had rapidly increasing Mem Usage in excess of 100,000 K.

I googled and learned that wuauclt.exe is supposed to be the Automatic Update Client for Windows. I thought to try disabling Automatic Update but discovered I'm unable to do so using the Automatic Updates tab in System Properties or Automatic Updates in Control Panel.

I also read that wuauclt.exe can also be malware. I've run scans using Avast! Antivirus and Malwarebytes. Both scans were negative.

I'm running Microsoft Windows XP SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

Hi -
The confusion is because there is a virus that uses this same name.
The valid windows file is C:\Windows\System32\wuauclt.exe (this is the Windows Updates Executable).
The virus is usually "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Common\wuauclt.exe"

EDIT - If you have the infection version please post back so the infection removal crew can fix it -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 05 August 2010 - 03:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users