It has a complicated past involving a terrible virus that caused us to have to reinstall windows. That was quite a while ago and had been working just fine until last week.
The two main problems:
- The high definition audio driver keeps failing to install, so there's no sound.
- The USB ports don't work and are completely missing from device manager.
1. Booting in safe mode to reinstall missing drivers
2. Checked the BIOS (and updated the software)
3. Uninstalled & reinstalled the drivers
4. Used System Restore
5. Scanned for viruses, etc.
I might be leaving some things out, but I've been round & round with this laptop and have exhausted all of my capabilities. The laptop came with a recovery disk, but it would require a complete wipe of the HD which my husband isn't quite ready to do.
What really confuses me is the USB tree simply not showing up in the device manager like there just isn't one even though USB is enabled in BIOS.
Any other suggestions?