Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

...cannot copy...file name too long...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 datastrain

datastrain

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

i transferred 1GB from a USB drive to internal SATA drive last night. (it was nice to see that Microsoft is finally saving the error messages until the very end so as not to disrupt the 9 hour transfer (it's about time they did that)).

however, the error messages i did get were typical of windows - very frustrating after 9 hours!:

"file name is too long... cannot copy file. Cancel or Skip?"
plus the "do this for all 479 problems?" check box.

so here's my beef / questions:
1. If the file name is too long how was i able to create it in Windows Explorer in the first place? (the file was created on a 2TB Seagate SATA drive originally, running Windows XP (then mirrored onto a 2TB USB drive, and now copied to a new Seagate 2TB drive))
2. the error messages i got on vista were in fixed windows (could not increase size) and the file name was truncated with the three dots. how am i suppose to fix the problem if I'm not given the file name?
3. i had 479 of these errors. did you expect me to write down all 479 partial file names and go hunting this morning?! i know Microsoft doesn't like error logs, but is there one in this case somewhere?
4. whats with this file name size limitation in the first place? 4BG of memory, 64bit technology, buses out the ass, etc and we still can't handle long file names if needed?
5. is this the same in Windows 7? (or did i miss the "this is my windows and its so beautiful i make passion with it every night!" band wagon?)

(i will now update my signature to this: a billion monkeys using microsoft will eventually produce every single error message... eventually...)
This reminds me of mr burns' room of thousand monkeys. Groening should do another one:
Mr Burns: "This is my room of a thousand monkeys. Eventually they will produce every single error message on Microsoft Windows"... then he looks over at a troubled monkey faced with the blue screen of death and says "Stupid Bill! Now we have to start over!".

Edited by datastrain, 04 August 2010 - 08:25 AM.

a million monkeys using windows will eventually produce all possible error messages... eventually...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LeveledHead

LeveledHead

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

Thats better than the way some older systems would handle it. I tried burning a disc with Nero, and instead of giving me options, it just truncated each file name, resulting in a garbage disc.

#3 datastrain

datastrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

bump
a million monkeys using windows will eventually produce all possible error messages... eventually...

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:01 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I read your post above and can feel your frustrations.

I seen mention of Windows Xp and mention of Windows Vista, and I realize you are speaking of a hard drive clone transfer that went crazy, with many errors involved in the process.

Just for clarification, can I please ask what operating system the computer in question is currently running?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2010 - 02:02 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

In windows the file name can only contain up to 255 characters thats the limit of NTFS. On some file systems the limit is even smaller so it wants to truncate them. In DOS if it encountered a long file name it would truncate it to filena~1.txt so compare the lengths on the USB Drive and on the SATA and see what the difference is.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

Spam magnet, closed topic since it is outdated and serves no good purpose.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users