Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 golfman8

golfman8

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

I am building my first computer and someone told me that for the initial start up that I need to have a mouse and keyboard connected to the PS/2 ports. Is this true, or will it reconize the keyboard and mouse connected through USB?
Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Depends upon the OS. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 all detect a USB keyboard/mouse for installation. Windows 95 and Windows 98 do not.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

Depends on the motherboard. Modern motherboards will boot with USB keyboard/mouse support enabled.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

with modern components Ive never had an issue booting a computer up for the first time with a USB keyboard/mouse, they are being phased out as a matter of fact. With older computers thats a concern, with newer systems I wouldnt worry about it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 golfman8

golfman8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the help all. One less thing to worry about. I am sure when I get into the build I will have more questions.
Thanks again,
golfman8 :thumbsup:

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

We'll be here to offer the best advice possible. :thumbsup:

#7 golfman8

golfman8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

To bring all up to date on the new build. The reason for the new build was because I had a 3 year old HP that developed a BIG problem. I could not load a website or use MS Word or any program that I had to enter an address. Curser was going crazy. Called HP Support and spent $60.00 to talk to someone in India for 2.5 hours and they had me do a complete restore and after all of that the computer worked for 2 minutes and same problem all over again. Well I said the hell with it and bought the parts to do my own build. Saturday I started my first ever build at 7:30 AM and by 9:30 AM had finished and all I needed to do was boot it up and install Windows 7. Fixed breakfast and started the reboot at 11:00 AM. No monitor!!!!! I wrote to forums, read forums and rebuilt the computer a half a dozen times and still nothing. At 5:30 PM after going over every single thing I had done and still could not figure it out. Got me a beer and sat there stareing at the damn thing and started thinking. Graphics card, graphics card, graphics card. Oh S---, the monitor is supposed to be connected to the graphics. That is what that little adapter that the card had with it if for. Connected it up and KABOOM, everything worked perfectely. Loaded Windows 7, driver update and then started loading software. Open Office instead of Windows Office, Thunderbird instead of Outlook, Quicken instead of MS Money. All is well and LIFE IS GOOD. :thumbsup:

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

Graphics card?
Who would have thought? :huh:
Just goes to show you what a beer can do for you.

Glad to hear all is running well. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users