Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hpzipm12.exe, Cannot Open New Apps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Walrus5241

Walrus5241

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:29 AM

Yesterday evening, I left my computer on as I went over to a friend's place. I was backing up files to a wiped, formatted external hard drive and wanted to use this down time as an opportunity to do some heavy-duty pasting.

When I returned around 1 this morning, I found that my computer somehow got a virus, it would seem. The symptoms are as follows:

-I am getting the recurring message "Application cannot be executed. The file hpzipm12.exe is infected." I'm not trying to do anything, but I am getting this message on a recurring basis. It's happened once or twice with other exes, but I can't recall what.
-Avast! has blocked svchost.exe from going to several different malware URLs, probably about 3-5 I'd say. It hasn't happened in the last hour or so, but I'm guessing it may be related.
-I cannot run almost any new apps. I can't run Malwarebytes, Spybot, or (most importantly) HijackThis. Normally I'd include that log here, but I can't even get it to run.
-I *was* able to perform a virus scan with Avast! but it turned up nothing, showing 0 uninfected files.

I've had this laptop since 2008 and had little to no issues with it, and no viruses. I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3, with 2 GB of RAM. I don't know what else to include, I've never had anything like this happen before and I'm pretty scared. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walrus5241

Walrus5241
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:03 AM

I have tried running RKill.exe, RKill.com, RKill.scr, and RKill.pif, and none work. The security warning pops up saying "Application cannot be executed. The file ___ is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?" I have tried leaving the security warning up and attempting to run the RKill program again, but to no avail.

Additionally, the "Application cannot be executed" warnings are now popping up for almost every .exe I run, including mbam.exe and background processes such as googleupdate.exe.

Edited by Walrus5241, 04 August 2010 - 04:57 AM.

#3 Walrus5241

Walrus5241
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

I desperately need help. Please, anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users