Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Living Dead HP.. boots only splash screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harshnoggin

harshnoggin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

I have a problem with a laptop. I have a HP zx5000 that started giving me an ethernet / PCI error
screen,( black and white screen with the spinning cursor). Now the problem has progressed to the point that the PC will only boot to the Splash screen for HP and progress no further. It allows one to hit the F10 key to bring up the PhoenixBIOS utiltiy screen, but nothing else. I can load the CD-rom disk for the operating system into the drive, but cannot boot from that disk. Is this a dead/ dying hard disk or something else entirely?
Some information about the PC:
HP pavilion zx5000
CPU: Pentium 4 w. hyperthreading 3.2 GHz
System mem: 512 MB
BIOS: F.25
KBC version : 31.36
Hard drive: toshiba mk8025gas-(pm)

HDD short test -> passed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

Have you reviewed the following page, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...SeriesId=369807 ?

What hard drive diagnostic did you run? The long test is always preferable, since it is more complete in testing.

Louis

#3 harshnoggin

harshnoggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Thank for your prompt reply!
Yes, I had run the full HDD test, but will run it once more to get the full report.
And thank you for the link.

#4 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

It could be hardware and it could be software... it could be anything, really, but my experience with a few of these HP lines makes me think the likely cause is the board.

Download and burn this bad boy: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

See you if you can boot it at all, and if you can, run memtest86+ from the memory screen, for starters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users