Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound coming from PC when portable drive connected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alcala

alcala

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:23 AM

I have a fairly new HPE 150t desktop, and recently purchased a Seagate 500 GB FreeAgent Go for backup purposes.

There is a low, intermittent humming sound (on for a second, then off for a second) coming from the PC when the portable drive is connected. It is clearly coming from the PC and not the Seagate drive. It stops when the drive is removed. Seagate telephone support said they had not come across it before but thought it might have to do with the power needed by the PC to run the drive. Is this something I even need to be concerned about? If there is an issue with my PC I would like to get it taken care of while still under warranty. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You said the computer is still under warranty, if you feel you have an issue you may want to have it checked out.

I can not tell you where your humming sound is coming from, it could be coming from the PSU or the system speaker on the motherboard.

The only way you're going to know that is to open the computer case and try and locate the sound.

It may not be an issue to worry about, then then on the other hand, being that your system is still covered, you may want to have the issue checked for piece of mind.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users