Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NVidia vs ATI

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Drift_91

Drift_91

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

I'm wondering what other's think is better, ATI or NVidia?

I've heard alot about NVidia churning out defective GPUs en'mass, especialy in Macs. Is ATI doing the same thing?
"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux." - This Article

"In March, 2010, VirusTotal.com, a service that analyzes suspicious files, identified more than 70,000 infected files that went undetected by one or more anti-virus engines—a more than 30% increase from last year. The sheer number of new, undetected files highlights the major threat facing Internet users today: non-detection by traditional PC security software." - This Article

The International Malware Epidemic, coming soon to a PC near you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

I'm wondering what other's think is better, ATI or NVidia?

I've heard alot about NVidia churning out defective GPUs en'mass, especialy in Macs. Is ATI doing the same thing?

The defective GPU issue was with nVIDIA's mobile GPU line. It was bad enough for Apple to switch to ATi with it's desktops.

No, ATi does not have any history of producing defective GPUs - mobile or desktop.

Edited by JonM33, 04 August 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

ATIs biggest downfall, and its not that big of an issue, has been poor driver support, particularly when a video card is first released. Its not a big deal-later driver releases and updates always fixes the bugs in the original, and often times, depending on the setup the original doesn't cause that big of an issue. They both make excellent video cards, me personally, love my ATI cards-I have them in every computer I own.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Maybe on Linux but Windows drivers from ATi have always been good for me for the past 8 years. I got the Radeon 9700 Pro (2002), Radeon X1900XT (2006) and Radeon HD 5850 (2009) the day they hit the market. The Radeon HD 5850 only had Beta drivers available but worked without a problem. :thumbsup:

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

well like I said with some setups you have no issues with them at all. I have done multiple personal and customer builds with ATI chips, and some of them I had no issues with, while others I had issues with the first set of drivers that came out. Ive just gotten into the habit of always just downloading the latest ATI driver and not even using the CDs that come with them, and that way I dont even have to worry about it. Because their newer releases of drivers are always fantastic.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

That's very true, I never use what comes on the CD. I always go to ATI's website and download the latest drivers.

It was just funny with my Radeon HD 5850, all that ATi had on their website at the time of purchase were Beta drivers. But, alas, no problems whatsoever.

#7 Drift_91

Drift_91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

The defective GPU issue was with nVIDIA's mobile GPU line.

No, ATi does not have any history of producing defective GPUs - mobile or desktop.

Ah, thanks for clearring that up. I'm currently in the process of trying to get my MacBook repaired under waranty. I got one of NVidia's lemons myself.

It was just funny with my Radeon HD 5850, all that ATi had on their website at the time of purchase were Beta drivers. But, alas, no problems whatsoever.

I'm supprised that they would release the hardware when the drivers are only in beta...

I've heard alot about ATI being higher performance, anyone know what gives you more power for your $$$?

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Well, they wanted to get it out in time for Windows 7. It wasn't bad at all and the final drivers were out by the time Windows 7 was retail. I got my Radeon HD 5850 on Oct 10, 2009 and Windows 7 (retail) came out 2 weeks after that. So I used the Beta drivers on Windows Vista at the time.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

If you ask me, ATI has the best price/performance ratio, in fact theyve been leading the market lately in performance to. And even the NVIDIA cards that outperform the ATI cards, dont do so by a huge margin, however the price difference is pretty big, and its been that way for quite awhile. When I bought my ATI 3870 x2 I paid 400 dollars for it, a similar NVIDIA card would have ran me around 600. . . and the comparative card was the 9800 x2 which was basically 2 8800s tweaked up a little and put together-in the end it provided slightly better framerates then my card, but not significantly so, and my image quality was better. . . so good bargain if you ask me.

picard5.jpg

#10 Drift_91

Drift_91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

I've read something in the past about one being better with textures and the other being better with all sorts of fancy effects. Guess one has a faster GPU and the other has faster VRAM.
"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux." - This Article

"In March, 2010, VirusTotal.com, a service that analyzes suspicious files, identified more than 70,000 infected files that went undetected by one or more anti-virus engines—a more than 30% increase from last year. The sheer number of new, undetected files highlights the major threat facing Internet users today: non-detection by traditional PC security software." - This Article

The International Malware Epidemic, coming soon to a PC near you.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

I have both ATI and Nvidia brand cards in my stock pile, being that I repair and upgrade computer systems for people, I end up with the parts because most computer owners don't want them.

I am presently using an Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP card in this system, I agree with most of you, by the time most video hardware hits the market, the web site has a newer version of the driver available.

Not counting the off the wall brand names of video cards out there, I can safely say I have rarely found either an ATI or Nvidia video card which has failed do to poor production.

I have an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI 64 Mb video card that works quite well with UBUNTU 10.4 LTS, the same card was excellent when I had Windows XP SP 3 on this system.

I know personally 3dFX Voodoo cards went POOF right out of bussiness and there are a few other companies that are gone way of the dodo!

But seriously being that I have dealt with both ATI and Nvidia for so many years I can't choose one over the other, as both make out-standing hardware and have remained in business while others have failed.

That's just my personal assessment of the video card wars. LOL :thumbsup:

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

I run an nVidia 7200GT in my Desktop on linux and it works very well and I've ran ATi before. It swaps up every couple of years as to which one is currently making the best cards/chips and also supporting them (which is why I switched from ATi to nVidia the last ime I but a GFX card in my Desktop). The biggest thing to remember is that if you're going to be running and Intel processor if the Motherboard has onboard graphics they will be anything but ATi most times since ATi is owned by AMD and if you're running an AMD Processor the onboard will most likely be ATi

Posted Image

#13 Oseyerus13

Oseyerus13

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

I have run both NVidia's and Ati's. Currently, I have a NVidia Quadro NVS 140M on my Thinkpad. While I've never really noticed that much of a difference between the two performance wise (using comparable cards), I have found that, of the computers at the place I work, we have had 5 Ati cards die in the past year, while only 1 NVidia. I'm sure there were confounding variables, just passing that along. Though this is a very minor thing, I have found that I personally prefer the control panel from NVidia to that from Ati; I just think it's easier to find and adjust the settings. My two cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users