Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DC jack on HP Pavillion ZV5227wm

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lipscombcl

lipscombcl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

This is starting to become frustrating...

I have an HP Pavillion ZV5227wm laptop and have been through at least 4 DC jacks...I understand through past research this is an issue...I have the correct type and size of solder but the problem always seems to be the jack itself...the post that go through the motherboard just don't seem like they are long enough to create a solid enough hold for the solder.

Am I doing something wrong???

I would really appreciate some help with this if anyone can. I have had the computer since 2004 and this is the ONLY problem I've ever had with it. I've never had a computer this long with so few problems.

I start school online in 2 weeks and I really, really can't afford a new laptop, but the massive amount of time my husband and I have spent tearing it down to the motherboard, re-soldering the jack, and reassembling it is getting ridiculous...I mean I know the jack itself is inexpensive but it's starting to become an inconvenience...

If anyone knows of a solution to this problem or knows somewhere that sells DC jacks with slightly longer posts it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would really like to be able to charge my laptop. :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am not sure what country you live in, so it would tough to recommend a local business to you.

You could try using an epoxy glue to secure the connector so it does not move about when plugging in the adapter.

Putting the epoxy where the connector's housing makes contact with the circuit board and a dab of it where the connector exits the laptop case wouldn't hurt either.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 August 2010 - 03:12 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users