Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

safe mode loop using msconfig, no floppy bootdisk

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

First off let me start by saying hello. I am a newbie and would greatly appreciate any help or advice that the forum can give.

I am running windows xp on an older dell desktop.

While following the bc tutorial "remove antispyware soft" I was directed to the "how to start windows in safemode" tutorial. This tutorial instructed me to start computer in safe mode using MSconfig. Upon doing so my computer gets stuck in a re-boot cycle that I cannot get out of. According to the tutorial this is because of the malware, (see section titled, "Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility", unfortunately this section is at the very bottom and not sequential. It should be at the top for morons like me). The tutorial recommends using boot disk to reboot my computer. Unfortunately this is my old computer and I no longer have any XP associated disks. Can I fix this problem without any xp boot disk? I have no floppy disk drive (its been broken for years), but my cd-rom drive works. Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hello, we can create a bootable disk that allows you to access the Recovery Console.

However, first I would like to know what exactly happens when you try to boot. Does safe mode automatically load (you see the drivers rolling over the screen) and then you get a blue screen/reboot?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 LeveledHead

LeveledHead

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

Kind of an off the wall suggestion here, and its probably not the easiest of options, but you could load up a cd with a Linux distro, then boot from it.

Once booted from the usb drive, you can run malware checks from there.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:09 AM

@ Leveledhead, that is not a real good idea, because from a linux distro its extremely difficult to load a remote registry. So you'll be scanning and possibly removing files, while ignoring the associated registry entries. That will not make things any better.

Besides that, this problem is easily to fix from within the Recovery Console.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

elise025, thanks for the reply.

When I turn on the computer it does not go into safemode it it shows an ms dos looking startup screen thats black with a blue dell globe icon in the top right corner and some copyright info with my coputer specs. Then after a few seconds the computer makes a loud noise and goes to a black screen that gives me the following options logging onto safemode, safemode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, and start windows normally. This screen also contains several paragraphs about how windows couldnt start normally. Clicking any of these options leads back to the original dell icon screen. I cant get out of that loop.

Thanks again and since I dont have a computer currently it will take me about a day to respond.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:06 AM

Clicking any of these options leads back to the original dell icon screen. I cant get out of that loop.

After entering any of these options, does it restart immediately, or does it attempt to start something and then reboot?

regards, Elise

#7 oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

well when I click one of the options the screen changes to a completly black screen. Then after say 5 seconds it goes back to the blue dell icon screen.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.
  • Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive from your non-booting computer, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

• When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
Now follow the steps here to rebuild boot.ini (scroll down to Resolution).

Afterwards let me know if your computer can boot in normal mode.

regards, Elise

#9 oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

Okay elise so I succsefully created the boot cd using arccd and I changed the boot order and it seems that my computer accepted the boot disk. I followed the microsoft instructions but I was never asked for a password instead the windows xp recovery consol says the following

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
{To cancel, press ENTER}?

This is kind of a curveball as its not in the microsoft instructions and I am hesitant to do any more damage.

#10 oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Disregard above post. I was supposed to enter the #1. Im an idiot. I get used to having my hand held and expect the instructions to tell me when to eat and sleep.

#11 oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

Successfully booted in normal mode. Thank you.

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

I'm glad to hear that. :thumbsup:

Do you have any other problems?

regards, Elise

#13 oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

Well I still have the adware on my computer. Can I continue with the tutorial to remove this adware? Will I be able to go into "safemode with netowrking"? Thanks for all your help.

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Lets first attempt to repair your safe mode. :thumbsup: Afterwards verify if you can boot normally in Safe Mode by using the F8 method (NOT forcing safe mode through msconfig).

Please download SafeBootKeyRepair.exe by sUBs to repair Safe Mode.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/...otKeyRepair.exe

To run SafeBootKeyRepair.exe:
1. Close all programs/windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
2. Double-click the SafeBootKeyRepair.exe file.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
3. Post the entire contents of C:\SafeBoot_Repair.txt in your next reply.

regards, Elise

#15 oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:15 AM

Sorry ccouldnt get to computer today. Please dont forget about me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users