Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google redirect virus?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 acejacko20

acejacko20

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

hello, i dont know if this is were i ask for help...but here i go.

ok, i have a google redirect virus, or something of that kind. when i click links on google it takes me to sites i never intended going to, and i also cannot get on some certain sites, example: i have an account on skybet.com, when i click this website link, it loads up for 2 seconds then sort of refreshes but stays blank, therefore i cannot go onto this site....and my money is in there!!!!!

anyways, i have tried some stuff to try and get rid of this virus. these are what ive tried:

malewarebytes scan- it found some infections, but didnt solve my redirect problem.

ive tried TDSSkiller, and it doesnt even detect a rootkit virus....

ive tried other scans too. but nothing is working, ive also tried system restore.

WHAT CAN I DO...I NEED THIS TO BE GONE....IT IS HORRIBLE...I CANT DO ANYTHING PROPERLY ANYMORE ON MY PC. its so annoying!

please help someone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fust Rated

Fust Rated

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

I too have had these problems for a week or so. Sometimes, when I open a web page it will say

! Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www. ....

and I know the site is there. I'm not the most knowledged in logs and stuff but Ive been reading as much as I can.

I have run Spybot S&D, SUPERAntiSpyware Free, AVG Free I cant get MalwareBytes cuz it wont let me on their site

any help would be great cuz Im Fust Rated

#3 acejacko20

acejacko20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

yes thats exactly what mine is doing ! it is now saying firefox cant establish a connection.

fust - rated....maybe you need to try the TDSSkiller....it has not helped me, but it helps some people. try it out...

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/TDSS...oad-165428.html

good luck.

and please, someone help me!

#4 chris3

chris3

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

ive had this problem as well, it has gotten worse in the last few days.

i think the virus might be a rootkit.

from google search engine page, if you click any link it will open a new window and either say intetnet cannot dispaly page and refreshing sometimes works and sometimes doesn't or there will be a website address on the bottom toolbar e.g. maxfinder.com etc and then would go back to Google search engine page.

ive tried malwarebytes anti-malware, kaspersky lab rootkit, avast scanner, trend micro. I used panda security scanner and i found 6 files infected but didn't continue the scan because they want you to pay for their software to get rid.

#5 acejacko20

acejacko20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

chris-

yes i have also tried lots of scans using the exact one's you say.

the TDSS killer scan actually got rid of an infection a week or 2 ago, but the redirect is still happening. and pages refresh constantly now were i cannot even go on some websites .... im so pissed off...i just dont know what to do.

i even re-installed windows the other day but it is still here. i dont think there is a solution for me, im not a computer expert and i dont have a clue about the registry, and what people say do to it. they say you need to change the registry and stuff or something!? wtf? im lost. if you get anywere please tell me mate.

#6 chris3

chris3

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

i have found a way that resurfaces the virus (malware), it is a virus that has got into the router and changed the DNS server address.

1. Reset your Router. There is a little hole at the back of your router (or atleast on my mine Linksys). Keep it pressed for 10 seconds or so. All lights flashes. Remember to set up your wireless security again after reset if your router has wireless feature.

2. Flush your dns cache from your computer
Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
Type ipconfig /flushdns and enter

i did this on my Webstar router Virgin Media use to be telewest broadband.

Then after scan with Hitman Pro then Malwarebytes anti-malware.

Mine scans brought up a blacklisted DNS server address and some tracking cookies on Hitman Pro. malware bytes brought god knows how many versions in different palces of Win32:malware-gen Worm virus.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hello there are 3 of you in one topic. This looks like you were reciving help with all the replies. Looks like you are using an old tdds killer.

So lets try this, since it s acejacko20's topic all others start a NEW topic with the logs created below and updates on the situation.

Please run the tool here How to remove Google Redirects

When it is done, a log file should be created on your C: drive called "TDSSKiller.txt" please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

>>>> Download this file and doubleclick on it to run it. Allow the information to be merged with the registry.

RKill....

Download and Run RKill
  • Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply
Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.

If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.

Next run Superantisypware (SAS):

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.

MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.46) and save it to your desktop.
Before you save it rename it to say zztoy.exe

alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Edited by boopme, 05 August 2010 - 04:48 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Fust Rated

Fust Rated

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

Im glad to see Im not the only one to have this problem... Ive looked for TDSSserv.sys file and its not there. I have deleted and re installed firefox and it worked for a bit them Whammo so Im gonna try the router reset ( did that work for you Chris?) I need this gone cuz school is starting soon and i need my computer...

Thanx for the help guys

#9 acejacko20

acejacko20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

OMG! chris- what you said do worked! thanks! wow....

boopme, what you said do will work for getting rid of the virus, i done all that a week ago but the virus has already did damage to the DNS server, or settings.

so learn from this, because chris is right!!!!!

i did have a virus yes, i got rid of it...doing what you said boopme, but the redirection is because of the dns settings, RESET THEM!!!

i cant believe it. chris3.....has the answer.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Yes that will work and since he posted a version I didn't want to post over it, But if someone needs it.

Change your DNS Servers:
  • Go to Posted Image > Run... and in the open box, type: cmd
  • Press OK or Hit Enter.
  • At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: ipconfig /flushdns
  • Hit Enter.
  • You will get a confirmation that the flush was successful.
  • Close the command box.
If the above commands did not resolve the problem, the next thing to try is to reset your network settings and Configure TCP/IP to use DNS.
  • Go to Posted Image > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
  • Right-click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
  • Double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) or highlight it and select Properties.
  • Under the General tab, write down any settings in case you should need to change them back.
  • Select the button that says "Obtain an IP address automatically" or make sure the DNS server IP address is the same as provided by your ISP.
  • Select the button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
  • If unknown Preferred or Alternate DNS servers are listed, uncheck the box that says "Use the following DNS server address".
  • Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer. If not prompted to reboot go ahead and reboot manually.
-- Vista users can refer to How to Change TCP/IP settings

CAUTION: It's possible that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) requires specific DNS settings here. Make sure you know if you need these settings or not BEFORE you make any changes or you may lose your Internet connection. If you're sure you do not need a specific DNS address,
then you may proceed.

Another scenario is:

The problem is actually based in your router and that in turn is infecting all the other computers on your network.
Here is the entire fix(from the beginning) that you will need to run on each PC.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Next disconnect your system from the internet, and your router, then…

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds). If you don’t know the router's default password, you can look it up HERE

However, if there are other Zlob-infected machines using the same router, they will need to be cleared with the above steps before resetting the router. Otherwise, the malware will simply go back and change the router's DNS settings. You also need to reconfigure any security settings you had in place prior to the reset. Check out this site here for video tutorials on how to properly configure your router's encryption and security settings. You may also need to consult with your Internet service provider to find out which DNS servers your network should be using.

Once you have ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on the infected system, and reset the router to its default configuration you can reconnect to the internet, and router. Then return to this site to post your logs.

Edited by boopme, 05 August 2010 - 06:41 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 acejacko20

acejacko20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

yes boopme, hehe.

thanks for the info though, i will come to this site now if i have further problems in future!

;)

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

:thumbsup:
Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point in Vista or Windows 7 and Disk Cleanup in Vista.

#13 acejacko20

acejacko20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

Thanks boopme, ive did that :D i would'nt of did that if you never said hehe :thumbsup:

i hope people see this thread! because it has the answer to the redirect problem:D i thinkso anyways, because i thought id never get rid of it, i tried everything! lol

now i can browse sooooo smoothly. and my computer seems faster too.
;)

#14 bendoyle1983

bendoyle1983

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

Sorry to hijack slightly, but I've been having exactly the same problem.

I'm a bit more exasperated by the fact that every time I click on a page listed on here or on other forums, Firefox has the whole "Problem loading page" error and will not load up the website. Even though, many other sites (Facebook, this site etc.) will load up ok.

I'm totally stumped, as it seems you can't fix the problem without downloading fix programmes, which I can't do!

ARGH! As previously said, this is a nasty piece of work, and my first ever piece of malware in 13 years online :-(

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

@bendoyle1983 only

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.

Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.

Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.

Now check if the internet is working again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users