Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quickbooks Multi User Mode with XP & Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cheesha

cheesha

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

Not sure if this is best in Business apps or networking.

I have a windows 7 system and running Quickbooks 2008. Prior to upgrading to windows 7, everything worked fine in multi-user function with a networked windows xp system that shared quickbooks. After the upgrade, the XP machine isn't communicating properly with the Intuit company files. Does anybody know if this is a windows 7/quickbooks 2008 issue or I just have to create my path differently than I did when I was XP to XP in multi-user mode.

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

Which computer has the actual Quickbooks company file you are trying to access, the Windows 7 or the Windows XP one? There shouldn't be a problem with having computers with different Operating Systems with Quickbooks. What do you mean exactly by "isn't communicating properly" are updates not coming through or is access limited?
I like to think I know a bit about computers, I apologize if my advice is not sound or clear. I try my best to give good answers.

Line of Defense
aVast! | Comodo | Malwarebytes

#3 ZeroK

ZeroK

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

I've just solved this problem at my client's where, after upgrading to Win7, XP could not open QB.  It was not possible to open as multiuser UNLESS the XP machine opened the company file FIRST.  If windows 7 (strangely, the host machine) opened it FIRST, then no XP could get into it.  But if XP opened it first, then Win 7 was able to share it.

The Windows 7 is the host computer.  What worked was turning off the windows firewall on all sharing machines.  (I am not entirely sure if this helped, but I shut off IPv6 in the Windows 7 network connections by suggestion of online article I found.)  But this is what I think really did it: MAKE SURE QBDATABASE MANAGER IS RUNNING.  In Windows 7 services: it is QuickBooksDB22 Service, named QuickBooks DataBase Service.  SET THIS TO AUTOMATIC STARTUP!  It can be started manually and monitored by running QuickBooks Database Server Manager from Quickbooks in Program Menu.  Set it up once by telling QB DB Mgr where to monitor the DB files (that is, give QB DB Mgr the directory to your company files).

If you don't see this service or it is not in your program menu, you should re-install QB and choose the network setup (something like "I am running QB on this PC and sharing the file over the network"). 

I hope this helps!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users