Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq F700 Power Supply Jack

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

Just got a Compaq Presario F700 laptop and the only problem is the jack where the power supply plugs in. It's loose, and I currently have to position the plug a certain way for it to charge (which the battery sucks, but I'll pick one up off ebay cheap). My question is about the jack. Do you guys think this would do: Ebay: Compaq Presario F700 Power Jack

Could I just get one of those and have a repair shop solder it in for me? Or does anyone have a better idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

The only other alternative would be to get it replaced by HP, which should cost a bomb. :thumbsup:

Assuming it is a good quality jack, be sure to get it done by a professional (laptop repairs).

Edited by ReviverSoft, 03 August 2010 - 07:13 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

Yeah, having it replaced by HP is not an option. I'd like to keep my arm and my leg. :thumbsup: BTW, what do you think someone might charge to install the jack? Rough estimate?

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:02 AM

Sorry, I do not have the faintest idea.
Err...Would $50 be too little? :S

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:56 AM

I usually get a flat $120 for replacing jacks (parts and labor). Be careful supplying your own part and expecting a shop to install it. Either they won't do it, or will not give a warranty on user supplied items.

Edited by dpunisher, 05 August 2010 - 02:58 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

$120 to replace the power jack? Like ReviverSoft said: around $50 sounds alot more like it. I only have $25 and a few hours of work in the thing, so there's no way in hell I'd pay someone $120. There's also no way that I'm going to take it to a shop that refuses to repair the thing using the part I bring them. They just want to supply the parts so that they can mark up the price and profit from that on top of labor charges. If they flat out refuse to do it that way, they're probably trying to screw you over anyway. Was gonna do it myself to save some cash, but disassembling a laptop is a whole other beast compared to dissecting a desktop. A refurbished USB/Power Jack on Ebay will run me $24 flat (not a fan of refurbed goods, but...), or I can get it directly from HP for $47.50 + S/H. Which do you guys think would be better in the long run? I also need a new battery too, but HP, TigerDirect, Newegg, etc. want $95 for that (even though the factory battery pack is a worthless POS), so needless to say I'll be picking up a new 12 cell battery from Ebay for $35-45. You know, I could even live with the power jack problem, but the heatsink and stuff needs a serious cleaning, so I might as well replace the jack while I'm in there. Heatsink is producing a massive amount of heat and causing it to shutdown after about 25-30 minutes. I have the repair and service manual for the F700, do you think this is something I should attempt myself?

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

$120 to replace the power jack? Like ReviverSoft said: around $50 sounds alot more like it. I have the repair and service manual for the F700, do you think this is something I should attempt myself?

Well, you better jump on anyone who will do it for $50. Disassembling a laptop down to the motherboard, resoldering a socket, and putting it all back together, is a 2 hour job (flat rate). Where I am from, that is $100 in labor, and a flat $20 for the jack (saves time on quotes). Look around online and see what places charge to replace broken power jacks.

If you have the service manual, do it yourself by all means. Great learning experience. Keep all of your screws organized, inspect the board for delamination of the traces under/around the socket. Get a small screwdriver set, and a pick set is handy to pry up/unsnap trim panels. A little socket set/nutdriver set is handy for removing the retainers for the sockets on the rear of the case. Learn by doing.

As far as a shop warrantying your part, why would they? They have no idea if it is an OEM spec part, they have no idea who made it, or it's history. If I supply the part, I know it is OEM, and if it doesn't work, I am the one who screwed up the job.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

@dpunisher: If I can find someone who will do it for $50, I'll jump the bleep on it. Don't think that this is something I wanna try and tackle myself, as I have absolutely no experience disassembling laptops. Damn, even cheap computers turn out to be f*ckin' expensive! But, since I'm totally against tearing this thing apart myself, is there a way that I can clean the heatsink without taking the whole thing apart? Got severe heat coming from it (apart from a can of compressed air, I just use an air compressor set to a low pressure level).

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

Disassembling a laptop down to the motherboard, resoldering a socket, and putting it all back together, is a 2 hour job (flat rate).
That's true, I guess you need to spend that much (~$100) after all.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hello I am going to link you to various web sites for instructions for applying thermal compund to a CPU.

Please click these links below.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2215210_apply-ther...mpound-cpu.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_2200426_apply-th...mpound-cpu.html

Now the best part of all, here is a tutorial for disassembling your laptop, it shows you pictures as well as instructions! http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-...-f700-notebook/ Be sure to scroll down this whole page to see the whole tutorial!

Hope these help.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 August 2010 - 01:24 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

This guide might help: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295900.pdf

See page #69 (77 of 133), USB/power connector board

#12 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, I guess stripping a laptop down to the mobo will be something better left to a professional. Christ, I hate to spend that kinda cash on a $25 computer.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, I guess stripping a laptop down to the mobo will be something better left to a professional. Christ, I hate to spend that kinda cash on a $25 computer.

Its really not that hard to do as long as you have a service manual or directions telling you how on how to do it.

As long as you use extreme caution, its not that hard of a task, its a learning experience and you'll save a bundle on top of it.

If you'd like to give it a go, let me know, I can provide you with instructions with pictures included.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

@ MrBruce1959: Yeah, I think I'm going to go for it myself. I already know how to tear my desktop piece by piece and reassemble it, so it's time to learn the laptop.

"If you'd like to give it a go, let me know, I can provide you with instructions with pictures included." - MrBruce1959

Yes, Bruce, any help that you could offer me would be much, much appreciated brother. Thanks again, man. :thumbsup:

#15 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la...&submit.y=9 Select your model.

Select "Manuals" and look for the biggest file size(Service Manual)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users