Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled Water into Desktop, Help Me Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 umiberge

umiberge

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hi there, i have a problem :flowers:
My desktop computer has an opening right on top, for the air intake fan. Last night, my wife dropped her glass of water and unfortunately spilled right into that very opening. The CPU shut down almost immediately.
I have tried using a hairdryer from a distance to dry out any moisture, so far it looks like it switches back on, all the lights running but it seems like there's nothing going on because there's nothing on the screen. I am no hardware expert so i'd like to know what's wrong though. I hope its an issue that could be dealt with ease. There is no beeping noises, when i press the off button it will not automatically switch off unless i hold it for 3-4 secs which is normal. The reset button works.
I can't see anything on screen as it says that it is not reading anything, monitor works but switches off automatically within 5 secs after it doesnt read anything from the computer. There are some computer noises when it restarts it but then it quiets down within 5-10 secs, since i can't see anything i was hoping it would take me to win 7 login screen, but i tried typing my ID and Password, still nothing.
Thank you, please advise.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think any online advice is possible, which means computer shop.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Sad to hear about your problem.

I can not say for sure if your computer has suffered any permanent damage.

The fact that it shut its self off is an indication that the water shorted something out causing the shut down, whether it caused permanent damage or not is another question.

If lets say the computer shut down before permanent damage was done, there is a possibility things will work normally again once all the moisture has evaporated, this could take days to a week, depending on how much humidity there is in the air surrounding the computer. Things may look dry, but there still might be some moisture left.

Water can also cause corrosion on metal contacts such as RAM slots and RAM modules, expansion cards such as video cards etc.

You should open the computer and try re-seating any expansion cards in their slots, specially check the video card if it is an AGP, PCI or PCI-E expansion card.

If you do not see results with what I suggested, you may have a fried video card, or other motherboard damage.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

If you are tech savy, you can remove the motherboard from the pc case, take everything off except the cpu/fan/heatsink, one stick of memory, video card if necessary, keyboard and mouse. be sure to place the board on a non-conductive surface and connect a power supply to required connections on the board. Jump out the pwr pins on the board to get it to boot. You should see it post (Power On Self Test) if it does, then put the board back in the case and add one item back onto the board and try booting each time until it fails to boot, whatever you connected to the board to stop it from booting will be the damaged hardware.

There is a lot to do for this procedure and if you are not confident in doing this then don't. Be aware of ESD (electro static discharge) and be sure to ground yourself out before handling the board

#5 umiberge

umiberge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

Hi, its me again. Many thanks for your replies, they are all very informative.
Unfortunately i am not tech Savvy, so i will not attempt to open the hardwares 1 by 1 or i may wreck it instead lol.
Fortunately Staples is willing to have a look, $40 to diagnose and probably give me options if they know whats wrong, maybe i can upgrade to a newer comp and reuse my harddisk if possible because i have lotsa files : )

I will update again when i get results, many thanks and keep up the good work with the advises : )

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Hi there, i have a problem :flowers:
My desktop computer has an opening right on top, for the air intake fan. Last night, my wife dropped her glass of water and unfortunately spilled right into that very opening. The CPU shut down almost immediately.
I have tried using a hairdryer from a distance to dry out any moisture, so far it looks like it switches back on, all the lights running but it seems like there's nothing going on because there's nothing on the screen. I am no hardware expert so i'd like to know what's wrong though. I hope its an issue that could be dealt with ease. There is no beeping noises, when i press the off button it will not automatically switch off unless i hold it for 3-4 secs which is normal. The reset button works.
I can't see anything on screen as it says that it is not reading anything, monitor works but switches off automatically within 5 secs after it doesnt read anything from the computer. There are some computer noises when it restarts it but then it quiets down within 5-10 secs, since i can't see anything i was hoping it would take me to win 7 login screen, but i tried typing my ID and Password, still nothing.
Thank you, please advise.

:thumbsup:

Water and electronics don't mix. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new PC.

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

You can use your windows install existing on your hard drive if you get a replacement board with an identical chipset (not too likely though) You can put your drive in a new pc as a slaved drive to use as an extra storage drive and keep your pics and data. See if the store you get your new pc from will put your old drive in

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users