Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help on Windows Update approaches..etc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

Hi guys :trumpet: ;

Don't have Automatic Windows Update service on due to some bad experience with a patch resulting to a reformat. I would always ask people about windows update and almost often the answers are cut in half say, around 50/50 owing to some good/bad experience. Also almost all cannot explain effectively to me my further queries.... :thumbsup: Problem is if it's not on you get to forget to update all along...

I would like to try again and this time here in the forums and ask you guys here about info's/comments. So here goes(think of it this as a grandmother's questions or close to that scenario :inlove: :

a) What in your opinion are Pros/Cons of having Automatic Windows update service "on" (on XP and Vista....--using XP SP3 and thinking of moving to Vista late this year...)

:flowers: What may be "good" approaches if I choose to have the update service "on" so I will not have problems with conflicting software/programs?

Can you give me an example in your own past experience about such so I can understand it better?

c) In contrast, if I choose for doing manual updates..what is the best approaches on how to do this safely?

d) I sometimes read about some articles that we should be wary auto installing windows updates..I would like to ask your opinion on this please..

e) Are there any known conflicts on known security programs before when you have auto-updates on? I remember having one with Sandboxie 3.42 before but I do not remember the update. The fix was to update to Sandboxie 3.422.

If something like this happens, (the nightmare starts...) what is the best thing to do or better yet what may be things that I should do short of "system restore"?

f) How to you guys deal with Windows update? Auto or Manual? If "Manual" how do you do it....?

If I choose "Notify only" what may be a good approach as to be safe to know what should be or not be installed?

g) This might be elementary but I'd guess you will understand :cool: :

I understand there is an improved Microsft Update over the old Windows update? How do they differ?

I do would like to have some tips/approaches to both XP and Vista (as I am thinking of transfering to Vista sometime this November..not yet definite).I am at a dilemma as to where to post this one as there are forums seperate for Vista/XP support...but I do hope for your kind understanding for information here.

Thank you very much. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:42 AM

A. Well, Windows Updates exist for a reason, which is to update components of the Windows OS & other MS software that might be installed.
In some cases, you have security updates to address various vulnerabilities in the OS, which obviously holds paramount importance.
A few other cases, bring about updates to vital components in your OS, say for eg. .net framework, visual c++ redist etc..

As such, you always have the option to read about the update and check for compatibility and other existing issues. So there aren't any Cons to speak of.

B. Approaches? Well, be it Win 7 or XP, I always choose to be notified about the updates. I prefer going through the list and choosing the ones that are top priority. Some I download later and a few I skip.
(Note: Win 7 classifies updates based on their importance)

C. By manual, if you mean the MS Windows Update website, there's isn't much to it. Open the site on IE, let the system detection do its thing and wait for the list of updates. Now, download and install the available updates, one by one.

D. Well, if you have chosen to download it in the first place, why fret over the installation? Can't really comment on this.

E. None that I'm aware of. In fact, ESET Smart Security keeps reminding me to install important updates. :flowers:

If something should go wrong, uninstall the update. Else consider the Sys Restore option.

F. Auto > Notify > I choose the updates > download & install. :trumpet:

G. I wasn't aware of that. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 05 August 2010 - 12:47 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:32 AM

FWIW: Microsoft Update and Windows Update are two separate approaches.

Windows Update concerns itself solely with the O/S installed.

Microsoft Update concerns itself with all Microsoft products installed on that system (e.g., MS Office, etc.).

Louis

#4 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

Hi :thumbsup: ;

@ReviverSoft;

Thanks for the inputs.

"As such, you always have the option to read about the update and check for compatibility and other existing issues..."
--- Other than Microsoft sites, have you any sites that I can go-to to check for compatibility/other related issues?

Am considering a dual boot of Vista and XP SP3 and I here that Vista has problems with updates rather than XP. Seems a more likey scenarion for me is "Auto > Notify > I choose the updates > download & install".....

I use Firefox mainly because IE8 is too slow in my system...can I download the updates independently from say, an internet cafe and install them afterwards at a later time?

Have you any inputs to give as to my dual boot considerations?

@hamluis;

Now that's the difference! I thought when you go for Microsoft updates it's for the OS and other MS software all in all:-)

Have you any inputs to share with me on my consideration for dual-booting of Vista/XP SP3?

Thanks! :flowers:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

Oldest O/S installed first. It can be done the other way, but it's more work than it merits.

Louis

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Other than Microsoft sites, have you any sites that I can go-to to check for compatibility/other related issues?
Err...just Google for more info.

Am considering a dual boot of Vista and XP SP3
Vista eh? How about Win7?

Oldest O/S installed first.
I second that.

I use Firefox mainly because IE8 is too slow in my system...can I download the updates independently from say
Win updates -> IE

Windows Update concerns itself solely with the O/S installed. Microsoft Update concerns itself with all Microsoft products installed on that system (e.g., MS Office, etc.).
Well, I receive them all through Windows Updates (a.ka. Automatic updates).
Just to be clear, I'm not referring to the actual product upgrades, only updates or fixes.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 05 August 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#7 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

Hi guys;

Thank you very much for the help! I will consider all and will get back to you here.

As always, have learned something new again!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

Most welcome, good luck! :thumbsup:

#9 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

Hi;

Thanks!

#10 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

The updates I'm most concerned about when I see them is anything to do with .Net's I've had horrid luck with those, and am always leery. I will usually wait on those a bit read some forums see if anyone has issues after updating and if it seems copacetic then i'll download it.

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users