Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm locked out of administrator status for IE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CPP

CPP

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

I was referred here by a member of the Malware Response Team for a problem that persists after removing the TDL3 rootkit.

Iím running windows XP Home Edition SP3.

The problem is that in Internet Explorer 7.0, Internet Explorer does not give me administrative rights to block activeX. In Internet Explorer >> Tools >> Internet Options >> Security shows "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." [But I am the administrator, logged in on my administrator account.] The settings I am not allowed to change are highlighted in pink (orange?) and are:
Download signed ActiveX controls (not secure): Enable (not secure).
Download unsigned ActiveX controls (not secure): Enable (not secure).
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting (not secure): Enable (not secure).
Launching programs and files in an IFRAME (not secure): Enable (not secure).

-We tried running secedit in the command prompt window (wonít run in Home Edition).

-Tried resetting the Security settings to Default settings in Internet Options in Control Panel (wonít reset).

-Tried running SubInACL (wonít run in Home Edition).

-Went to the original disk for the computer to try to repair windows XP. The disk only offers restore options (wiping out all software and settings, and re-installing XP as a new installation, which I am very reluctant to do since I would then have to re-install all hardware, peripherals, network settings, router, and then reload all programs and then reload all backup data into the programs).

Any help in trying to regain control as ďadministratorĒ for IE? Windows XP tells me that I am the one and only administrator for this computer, but IE thinks otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

See Using SubInACL section of http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-th...-in-windows-xp/.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#3 CPP

CPP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. That got it to run (or at least something was running for a while). Didn't fix the setting in IE, though. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

i would install IE 8 (if i didn't have it already installed)...IE 7 may be broken.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users