Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Need A New Video Card

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

Guys, I need a response to this one ASAP! I have a HP m1070n Media Center PC and I do ALOT of video conversion (avi to DVD, mp4 to DVD, etc.). For a while now I've had an issue where I start converting an .avi or .mp4 into DVD format and 10 minutes into the conversion the screen goes black, followed shortly by what sounds like a fan going into overdrive. The PC stays on the entire time, never shuts off. Thought that it might be the internal components creating so much heat that it was causing it, but I removed the entire side panel of the tower (for even less constricted airflow), but it still did the same thing. Last night I converted a file and shutdown the computer. This morning, when I turn the PC on I have nothing. No fan noise, but absolutely nothing on the monitor! Rebooted several times and still nothing. Checked the dumbsh!t like the monitor cord and stuff, but no luck. Do I need a new video card? If so, can someone recommend a few in my price range (something equal to or slightly better than what I have, which is the stock video card. Here are the specs on it:

ATI Radeon x300se

* 128MB DDR memory
* PCI-E (Express) interface
* I/O Ports: VGA, Composite, S-Video (S-VHS only - integrated tv encoder)
* TV-Out support

Please reply as soon as you can, I really need this fixed soon because it's also my work computer. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

Are your chassis and cpu fans not going round either?
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#3 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

BTW, I should mention that I'm on a VERY tight budget right now, so could you guys recommend one of the less pricey cards from this page:

Newegg.com Video Cards

That is, if the problem IS the video card. Thanks guys.

#4 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

@ Dark sidious: Yes, all of the fans are running as far as I know, even the PCI slot fan that I installed.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

Assuming it is your video card, the ATI Radeon HD 4670 is a good buy.

Having had a look at the system specs, I wouldn't suggest anything higher.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 03 August 2010 - 06:34 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

Thanx ReviverSoft for that quick reply. That one looks great, but it's slightly outta my budget. Got anything in the $40-50 range (not a cheapo when it comes to my computer, but money's tight!). May pick up the one you mentioned when my wallet gets a lil heavier. The video card is the only thing I could think it may be, but feel free to weigh in with any opinions.

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

The way to test it is if you've got another graphics card which is compatable with your motherboard even if it is lesser spec and plug that in and boot and see.

If your motherboard has onboard graphics there will be a vga port same as on your current card plug vga adapter into that if it boots card is fried.

There's a few cards for you to have a look at below.

http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/?fi...00021_10197478_
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#8 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

@Dark sidious: I don't have any other cards that I could try that with. Are you telling me that there may be a VGA port on the mobo to plug the monitor into? :thumbsup:

#9 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

Look on the backplate where usb and other ports are if the mobo has onboard you will see a vga port like on your graphics card if not then there is no onboard graphics.

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:11 AM

That one looks great, but it's slightly outta my budget. Got anything in the $40-50 range
The Nvidia 9500GT is next in line.

Are you telling me that there may be a VGA port on the mobo to plug the monitor into?
Yep, check out this image:
Posted Image

Edited by ReviverSoft, 05 August 2010 - 12:13 AM.

#11 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:38 AM

That one looks great, but it's slightly outta my budget. Got anything in the $40-50 range
The Nvidia 9500GT is next in line.

Are you telling me that there may be a VGA port on the mobo to plug the monitor into?
Yep, check out this image:
Posted Image

Great pic :thumbsup:

#12 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the help you guys, but I think I've found the problem. I pulled the video card out and there was no sign of visible damage. However, the heatsink and fan at the back of the tower were covered in a coat of dust (I'm a smoker, and we all know that smoking and electronic devices do NOT go together). Pulled the fans, the heatsink, cleaned all pieces with an air compressor, cleaned the mating surfaces on the heatsink and mobo with 90% isopropyl alcohol, applied a little fresh thermal paste, and put her back together. BAM! The bleep fired right up! I do have one question though: should the fan in the back of the tower be pulling air in or should it be used for exhaust? I assume it should be pulling in fresh air to help cool the internal components (I have a lovely Thermaltake PCI slot fan that works great at pulling out the hot air that resides inside the tower.) So, intake or exhaust on the main case fan in the back? :thumbsup:

#13 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

If that is the only fan that is part of the chassis then pulling cool air in.

#14 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Thanx Dark-sidious. I know it seemed like a dumb question, but some say "USE IT AS AN INTAKE!!!", and then some say "USE IT FOR EXHAUST!!!". Most of the responses I got from googling it mentioned several fans, and that they should push air in through the front and exhaust it out of the back. I only have one case fan in the back which right now is on exhaust, however, after your response I'll be flippin' her around. Been trying to think of a way to install another fan (maybe one to blow cool air onto the motherboard). If you pull up some pics of an HP m1070n and get any ideas on where such a fan might be placed, let me know. :thumbsup:

#15 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

BAM! The bleep fired right up!
Good to hear.

I only have one case fan in the back which right now is on exhaust
Having taken a look at the case, I'd say leave it at exhaust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users