Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen is black then white then colored alternates in bars

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David Tran

David Tran

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

Trying to diagnose the problem with the display on my friend's Dell Latitude D830. The backlight on the screen works fine so I don't think it's the inverter board. The laptop works fine when connected to an external display, but when I turn on the laptop with no monitor connected, the screen is all black (no bios prompt or anything) then it turns white, then it has a black stripe down the middle of the screen. The screen can change to any number of colors randomly. What is the problem and what do I have to replace? Is it just a loose connection to the mobo or what? Thanks in advance guys.

here's a picture of the startup:

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/4103/22185811242orig.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hi i agree it is not the inverter as that changes the dc current to an ac current to power the backlight and the screen would appear black but if you shined a backlight on screen you would see an a dimmed out image of screen display.

Looking at the picture i would say it is the LCD display itself that needs replacing as you say it is ok on an external monitor.

You could check the video cable that connects the LCD screen to the motherboard are not loose or have bent pins and don't have oxidisation build up preventing a good contact, but i think the screen needs replacing.

Hope this helps.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#3 David Tran

David Tran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

Hi i agree it is not the inverter as that changes the dc current to an ac current to power the backlight and the screen would appear black but if you shined a backlight on screen you would see an a dimmed out image of screen display.

Looking at the picture i would say it is the LCD display itself that needs replacing as you say it is ok on an external monitor.

You could check the video cable that connects the LCD screen to the motherboard are not loose or have bent pins and don't have oxidisation build up preventing a good contact, but i think the screen needs replacing.

Hope this helps.

hey thanks for the insight. I ruled out faulty LCD at first because I had a 17" Dell Monitor in the past that had the exact same problem, but it seemed as if once it got 'warmed up' an image would appear on the screen but the colors would still be screwed up, with patches of high white contrast on random parts of the screen. I'm not too confident about checking the cable to the motherboard as I've never opened up a laptop before, (other than replacing easy things like RAM, LCD, keyboard, etc) and I couldn't find any videos or pictures on it, so do you know of any websites that specialize on this topic with supporting pictures/videos?

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hi the first link is to instructions and pictures the second link is a video

http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-removal-in...en,compaq.shtml

Hope these help.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users