Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Congratulations virus now cannot boot (regular or safe mode) I get the BSOD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 figsahaas42

figsahaas42

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

Yesterday I started getting the "Congratulations, you won" audio as well as some other adverts randomly playing without any popups or browsers open. I tried a series of malware removals (Malwarebytes, spybot seek and destroy) I got hijackthis and tried to look for out of place items by matching with others posts. Anyways, did all that and then then ran an antivirus scan (AVG free) and went to bed. When I woke up I was at the Start windows normal/safe/safe with network/last known screen so I went to last known. When I did that, it never booted just goes to the windows logo and then blue screens saying memory issue or update BIOS. Tried to boot in safe mode, same story. When I run the diagnostics test it says "Error loading operating system." All remedies online so far require getting online (computer wont start) and downloading BIOS updates

HELP!!!

Edited by Pandy, 04 August 2010 - 01:06 AM.
Moved from Vista to a more appropriate forum ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

Hi, figsahaas42 smile.gif

welcome.gif

It seems that the issue is related to the Master Boot Record due to the Whistler Trojan. You will need the Windows VISTA Installation DVD to fix this. Please be advise that there is always a slight possibility that you may lose your Data repairing the Master Boot Record.
  1. You must access the Vista Recovery Environment throughout the Vista installation DVD.
  2. At the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
  3. Then the command prompt.
  4. Type the following command at the prompt, then hit Enter.
    bootrec /fixmbr
  5. Once finished, type Exit and press Enter. Restart the computer in Normal Mode.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 figsahaas42

figsahaas42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

JSntgRvr,
Thank you for your help. I will keep this written down in case it happens again. I ended up just reinstalling windows completely and starting from scratch. Pain in the butt, but I needed to finish some school work before today and that was the only option at the time. Once again, a hundred thanks for the reply.

#4 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users