Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound in XP; Device cannot start, code 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pFREDq

pFREDq

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

I recently had the brilliant idea to try to triple boot Vista (already installed), XP, and Ubuntu. The process should have been relatively simple, I've done things like this before, but this time everything that could have possibly gone wrong has gone wrong. Ubuntu installed with no problem. I finally got XP (Home Edition, SP2) installed and working exactly as it should with the exception of the sound. My laptop has Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221, and I have done everything I can think of to get it working. Whenever I (re)install the drivers for it (I have tried several versions) I get this error: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Under Device Manager, it shows the icon with a "!" next to it in a yellow circle. I know it's not fried or anything because the sound works with no problems in both Vista and Ubuntu.
I have tried looking into what "Code 10" means, and from I have gathered it essentially means "Something went wrong, but we aren't sure what!" and I have found countless threads on various forums about Code 10 but I have yet to find a single one where the problem is actually resolved.
Any help would be great. Thanks!
EDIT: Windows came up with one of those "we need to update! Restart your computer!" things, so I restarted and now the sound is working. -___-
This happens every time I post something like this. Mods, feel free to lock or delete this thread! Nothing to see here!

EDIT2: Alright, I take that back! My speakers now work, however my headphones do not. Whether they are plugged in or not, sound still only comes through the speakers. Looking at Device Manager, it still shows the "!" next to to the device and still gives me the Code 10 thing, perhaps this is what controls the headphone jack?

Edited by pFREDq, 03 August 2010 - 01:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

I would uninstall all audio drivers...then follow the approprriate instructions for reinstalling the drivers which came with the system.

Louis

Where are you getting these drivers you try...from?

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#3 pFREDq

pFREDq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

I got most of the drivers I tried from HP's website (my laptop is a HP laptop). Vista came preinstalled, so any drivers that came with it are for Vista, not XP.

#4 pFREDq

pFREDq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

Alright, I've got the headphones working, but now the sound comes through both the speakers and the headphones and I'm not sure how to set it to only go through the headphones. Is there a way to do this in XP?
EDIT: Uninstalled driver, re-installed it, installed a new one, didn't work at all, rolled back to the previous driver, re-installed again, and it worked. Whoo.

Edited by pFREDq, 03 August 2010 - 04:01 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Nice work, glad you resolved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users