Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't run MBAM and RKill

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dsage

dsage

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

My laptop was infected by some kind of virus. The Windows Security always alerts me that my computer is under attack and asks me to run an online anti-virus or something. I successfully installed the MBAM, but it won't run. I tried RKill too (try rename it too), but it won't run either. The error message says that application is failed to run and it is infected. How can I run MBAM then?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,055 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dsage

dsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

I followed those steps already. I tried to rename it, downloaded different version, and ignored the error message. But it still won't run. I think the virus stops all programs, not only anti-virus programs. Even notepad++ doesn't work.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,055 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

Try doing an online scan.

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Antiivirus Scanner.
This scan requires Internet Explorer to work. Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator.
To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications. (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software at any point, just close the window.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
Note: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you do not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
-- Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

#5 dsage

dsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

I can't access web browser either :thumbsup:
It says: "Internet Explorer Warning: Visiting this website may harm your computer", even when I tried to go to google.com. I also tried Firefox, but same error message is displayed.

I'm running avast for the second time now. Will that help? The first time is unsuccesful. My laptop crashed when avast tried to delete the virus.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,055 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

The warnings are fake alerts created by the malware you are dealing with. Try this.

If you cannot use the Internet or download any required programs to the infected machine, try downloading them from another computer (family member, friend, library, etc) with an Internet connection. Save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer to the infected machine, then install and run the program(s). If you cannot copy files to your usb drive, make sure it is not "Write Protected". Some flash drives have a switch on the side which could have accidentally been moved to write protect.

Please download and scan with the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool from one of the links provided below and save it to your desktop.Link 1
Link 2
Be sure to print out and read the instructions provided in:
  • Double-click the setup file (i.e. setup_9.0.0.722_22.01.2010_10-04.exe) to install the utility.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If you receive a UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.
  • After the scan is complete, copy and paste only the first part of the report (Detected) in your next reply. Do not include the longer list marked Events.
  • When finished, follow these instructions on How to uninstall Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2010.
  • If you cannot run this tool in normal mode, then try using it in "safe mode".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users