Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard/video card help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bambi80

Bambi80

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

I do not even know what kind of computer this is, as there are absolutely no discernable markings on the shell or otherwise. Likewise for the motherboard, and there is not even an FCC id, just the "Tested to Comply" label.

Computer boots just fine (or seems to), however I am unable to get a monitor to operate with this computer. If I knew what kind of computer/and or what the motherboard is, I'd probably be able to diagnos the monitor.

On the motherboard:
Y2K Burn-in 24Hr (so I'm assuming it runs on Win98SE)
AGP8M PC99 Connector
PCI Sound Pro # ht8338a
PC NET PCI Lan # ht 2019
Xcel 2000
PCtel chip # pct789t
Winbond W83194R-59

Right now I have no way of telling if the video card is bad, or if there is just a missing connection.

Help. Please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Lets see if I can help you in identifying your motherboard.

There are many ways to find out this information, one is to try and grab the BIOS string on the POST screen, however I realize your not able to see anything on the screen during the post.

You could try adding another video card to an expansion slot to see if the original one was is either damaged or has failed. You may be able to get the video to work and get the BIOS string numbers.

Here is a link to a web site that explains how to find possible identifying labels or ID tags on the motherboard and how to use that information to identify your motherboard.

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/moboid1.html There are several pages to this page be sure to click the link at the end of each page to progress to the next page. Just ignore the ads found in this artical and keep scrolling down to read the artical.

Hope this helps.

If not I will have to locate a program for you that will identify your motherboard for you, but in order for it to work, you will have to get the video to work first, in this case I would suggest you try replacing the video card with a known working one, either a PCI or AGP video card would be needed as I would doubt the computer even supports PCI-E, being its age means there was no PCI-E when it was manufactured.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 August 2010 - 11:23 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users