Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Updates Failing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:40 AM

Over the past few days, everytime i try to update AVG Free's virus definitions, it won't let me. I open the AVG program, and click on "Update", but it won't connect to the server for some reason.

I haven't changed any settings or modified the program/folders in any way. Is anyone else having this problem updating their AVG? If so, is there a way to solve the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:07 AM

Is the problem that you cannot connect, or that when you download a file, you get an error message "update was unsuccessful"? In the later case, this may have been caused by a program update that requires a reboot to install.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:30 PM

....i could've sworn i restarted a few times since the last time i've updated.....

Anyway, thanx for bringing that to my attention jg, once again the n00b in me presents itself... :thumbsup:

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 26 October 2005 - 10:30 PM.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:33 PM

My AVG has been updating horribably the last three weeks.
Meaning that each and every update, requires a re-start.

And since there is an update nearly every day. It is a huge pain
:thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 27 October 2005 - 09:28 AM.

Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:27 AM

I have had no problems with updating AVG, Scarlett; in fact I just updated while typing this. I did notice there were several updates to the program itself sometime last week, and at least one required a computer restart to complete.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:30 AM

Lucky you. :thumbsup:

This is not just not happening to me though.
I have researched this, but do not have the findings at hand at the moment.

Later I will look for them.
Posted Image

#7 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

Hi there, from what I've read at forum.grisoft.cz there are numerous problems (with a few solutions) updating the lastest 7.1. version.
I have Windows Me, AVG and adaware on my system. (I stopped all automatic updates when AVG asked to download the Priority or Optional till AVG got things straightened out, ) I waited till yesterday and loaded the Priority, then when it ask to reboot, I said no, then I shut down my system as normally done, waited for awhile to start up system. it configured OK. I then had 7.1.361 267.12/5/149 Today I let AVG do its automatic update and again it ask to restart, I selected no and did a normal shutdown, waited and started up and everything is OK. I now have 7.1.362 267.12.5/150
Check out that web site and maybe something applies to you, sounds like it may be Zone alarm or something to do with Roxio.
Good luck,
newbeee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users