Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pav000

Pav000

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:23 AM

Hi

I am running XP home edition on another computer. Yesterday I performed a virus scan two virus's were detected. I was advised to reboot and avast started a memory scan.

Since then I cannot now log in on my settings or the administrator log in, using normal mode or safe mode.

I am sending this message from another computer in the house using a wireless connection.

Can you help me

Pav

Edited by Pav000, 03 August 2010 - 07:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BigBas

BigBas

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

Do you remember offhand what the viruses were? How is the computer acting now? Does it log into windows, then before anything loads, it logs right back out to the welcome screen?

If so, it sounds like you may have an annoying problem. Some viruses embed themselves in the userinit registry entry. When the antivirus deletes the virus, sometimes it deletes the entire registry entry, disallowing the user from logging in.

The only solution that I have found for this problem can be found here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm I'll be honest, it's not the easiest set of directions, but it does work.

#3 Stor-A11

Stor-A11

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

1. Boot from a UBCD4Win disc.
2. Verify that C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe exists. If not, restore from backup or install cd.
3. Add/correct the entry below to the registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit "C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"

#4 Pav000

Pav000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hi

I have made a BartPE CD. Incorparation windows service pack 3.

When I tried to load the hive:

C:\Windows\System32\Config\

4.Select the file named SOFTWARE (the file without any extensions), and click Open

I have been "denied access" wouldyou have any idea why this is or what to do now. I have tried to uncheck the read only option with out any success. (The computer is a dell inspiron 5000).

Thank you for your help.

Pav

#5 Stor-A11

Stor-A11

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

I have been "denied access" wouldyou have any idea why this is or what to do now. I have tried to uncheck the read only option with out any success.

It sounds like you're trying to access the registry on the CD. Here are more detailed instructions.

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:07 AM

Hello Pav000

If you're still there. do you have a Windows disk available? If not we can try some other things.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 15 August 2010 - 04:10 AM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users