Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

asus p5kpl-cm reboot cycle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 roodonger

roodonger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:15 AM

Having problems with the reboot. It shows the asus page, then the windows page, after the screen power light blinks off and then it keeps cycling. I have replaced the bios battery as I thought this may have been the problem.

Any help appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

What version of Windows?

No safe mode boot?

No error messages?

Malware?

What led up to the system not booting properly?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2010 - 11:30 AM.

#3 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

Have you changed any Bios settings recently or installed a new version of windows. If you are running any SATA drives in AHCI mode then your windows may not recognize it and just restart once it tries to boot windows.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

To add my two cents worth.

Any time you change the CMOS battery, you have to enter the BIOS set up utility.

Once you are in the set up utility you have to correct the time and date which would have defaulted back to the start time and date burned into the firmware.

You should also try using a setting called system defaults or fail-safe defaults, this setting is found in a main menu in the BIOS set up utility.

You should also re-detect all hard drives, as those settings were lost once the BIOS/CMOS back up battery was removed.

Can you access the BIOS set up utility?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 August 2010 - 12:43 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 jeff932

jeff932

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

Having problems with the reboot. It shows the asus page, then the windows page, after the screen power light blinks off and then it keeps cycling. I have replaced the bios battery as I thought this may have been the problem.

Any help appreciated

Windows is crashing and auto rebooting. First thing is to stop it from doing this:
See this:
http://www.watchingthenet.com/prevent-auto...s-occurred.html

Boot up Windows normally. After the BIOS process has completed (POST process), press and hold "F8" to access the Advanced Options Menu (before Windows displays the loading screen) as shown from XP below. Vista loading screen will look similar).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users