Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP - "Network Cable Unplugged" when it's plugged in

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ossilix

ossilix

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:49 AM

I just did a clean install of Windows XP SP1 (which I then upgraded directly to SP3) on a new hard disk in my computer. I have a cable internet connection through a router. Other computers are connected to the router and they're working fine so I know the problem isn't with the router.

Once I got the installation done I installed drivers for my sound card and then installed Zonealarm firewall, even though I didn't have an internet connection yet.

I have two ethernet ports available. One is on my motherboard, the other is a PCI card. I can't remember why there are two - I assume the one on my motherboard wasn't good enough or something so the people who serviced my computer added another. I've always used the expansion ethernet port, and didn't even realize there was a second one directly on the mobo until having this problem.

The ethernet port on the motherboard is VIA PCI 10/100mb Fast Ethernet Adapter.

The addon is D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

When I connect the cable to the D-Link port, it lights up, but says "A network cable is unplugged". I can run the diagnostics tools in the Properties for the adapter and it's able to test the cable, but it still says a cable is unplugged. (It says there's a short in two of the cable pairs, I don't know what that means but I know the cable works, I think it's a mistake.) I can also run the tool that tests the linkup and it makes the light flash so I know the computer can access the port. The same thing happens when I plug the modem directly into the port, it still says a cable is unplugged (and the diagnostics tool says there's an impedance mismatch in one of the cable pairs along with the two shorts, although I know the cable works - I'm using it now to post this).

I have installed the latest driver for the D-Link adapter, but it didn't help.

Something else happens with the port on the motherboard. If I connect it, the network cable unplugged error for that connection goes away, it shows the icon of the computer connecting then it says the connection is working, but I can't still access the internet.

I haven't installed drivers for my motherboard off of the disk it came with because it didn't ask me to. Am I supposed to do that?

I hope it's possible for someone to help with this I know it's a complex issue but I don't know anything about network connections at all. Please let me know what other information I need to include. I may be able to take screenshots.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

Try setting the network speed of your Dlink NIC to 10 Base T at full duplex and see what happens.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#3 MilesJ

MilesJ

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

Personally I would also make sure the motherboard, adapter etc are all updated. Could just be that the people who serviced your computer had them updated and you haven't since the install.

Miles
Student of Networking & Network Security

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

Hi ossilix sounds as though there may be a break in the cable somewhere try a different cable that you know is currently working.

When you do a clean install of an os you should always install all the drivers off the motherboard driver disk first starting with chipset drivers first and then all other drivers, if it has the microsoft uaa bus driver install that before any audio drivers.

Then you can connect to the internet and update windows. This is what the setup program on a new computer does then gives you the option of updating windows when installation is complete.

Hope this helps.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#5 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

Just an update - I plugged the cords back into the old hard drive and it's working exactly as it did before, I can get on the internet fine and there's no change whatsoever, so I know for a fact it's not the cable, or the card not being seated properly.

Also, when I installed the D-Link driver it says it failed "Windows logo testing". Is that really a problem? I know it works with XP because I'm using it right now in XP SP2.

I did update the new HDD to SP3 if that makes a difference?

Try setting the network speed of your Dlink NIC to 10 Base T at full duplex and see what happens.

Sorry I have no clue what that means :thumbsup: What would that do?

Personally I would also make sure the motherboard, adapter etc are all updated. Could just be that the people who serviced your computer had them updated and you haven't since the install.

That's true. How can I find out for sure? BTW I don't think the drivers for the motherboard are installed at all on the old HD either, in Device Manager it says "No drivers are installed for this device" when I click on "System Board", and all of the things related to the mobo (like the integrated ethernet port and the integrated USB hub on the front of the computer enclosure) are working without having to install anything. I'd rather not install anything from the Chaintech CD unless there's no chance of it making changes to the motherboard itself.

I guess I need to go through Device Manager and see what the differences are. Which sections should I be looking at?

BTW the motherboard is Chaintech Apogee 7VJL.

#6 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

Something I forgot - when setting up the new XP installation, I gave the computer a different name from what it's called on the old HD. Should that make a difference? Should I have used the same name?

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

Anything in device manager with a question mark means no driver installed, an exclamation mark indicates a problem with the driver a red x means driver disabled.

The chaintech cd contains all the drivers that windows needs to communicate with the hardware on the motherboard without these drivers may lead to problems especially if chipset drivers are missing.

Failing windows logo testing means the drivers haven't been thru microsoft hardware testing labs.

Changing the name of the computer on new hdd doesnt matter.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#8 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

The chaintech cd contains all the drivers that windows needs to communicate with the hardware on the motherboard without these drivers may lead to problems especially if chipset drivers are missing.

How can I check to see if they're already installed? Does installing chipset drivers make any changes to the motherboard that would cause the old HD I'm using right now to not boot up or be usable anymore, or are they entirely contained within Windows itself?

Edited by ossilix, 03 August 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#9 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:00 AM

How can I check to see if they're already installed? Does installing chipset drivers make any changes to the motherboard that would cause the old HD I'm using right now to not boot up or be usable anymore, or are they entirely contained within Windows itself?

Go to control panel>system>hardware>device manager if you look at the quote at top of post look for drivers that come into those catergories anything with a red x you can simply got into that device and re-enable. The chipset drivers are important helps windows communicate with the north and southbridge chipset on mobo and has an inf file so when you install other drivers they get put in correct locations address wise and should be installed first before all other drivers. System board nothing appearing may be because of abscnce of chipset therefore unable to read system devices not sure on that one never come across that. The new hdd has sys board missing in device manager or old hdd? Whichever one doesn't matter but drivers from chaintech need installing.

If you have no drivers installed your system may run using generic drivers which xp installs in the abscence of the proper driver or a device may not appear in device manager if xp hasn't a generic driver.

That said a system without proper drivers running on generic drivers installed by os may lead to incompatabilities and things not working as they should.

If you do not have onboard graphics that is a graphics chip integrated with mobo and have a separate card yu will need the drivers for that as well.

#10 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:34 AM

Just an update - I plugged the cords back into the old hard drive and it's working exactly as it did before, I can get on the internet fine and there's no change whatsoever, so I know for a fact it's not the cable, or the card not being seated properly.

Also, when I installed the D-Link driver it says it failed "Windows logo testing". Is that really a problem? I know it works with XP because I'm using it right now in XP SP2.

I did update the new HDD to SP3 if that makes a difference?

Sorry I have no clue what that means :thumbsup: What would that do?

That's true. How can I find out for sure? BTW I don't think the drivers for the motherboard are installed at all on the old HD either, in Device Manager it says "No drivers are installed for this device" when I click on "System Board", and all of the things related to the mobo (like the integrated ethernet port and the integrated USB hub on the front of the computer enclosure) are working without having to install anything. I'd rather not install anything from the Chaintech CD unless there's no chance of it making changes to the motherboard itself.

I guess I need to go through Device Manager and see what the differences are. Which sections should I be looking at?

BTW the motherboard is Chaintech Apogee 7VJL.

Sorry for the late reply.

Anyways to lower down the network speed of your NIC here is what you need to do.

go to
Start> Settings > control panel > Network connections ( do this in classic view ).
Right click on the Local Area Connection Icon then click properties.
Once on under properties. Look for and click configure.
Look for an advance TAB
There should be a couple options. ( it would not be the same for all NICs so look for 10 Base T and Full duplex )
Once your done. Apply and restart your computer.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#11 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

System board nothing appearing may be because of abscnce of chipset therefore unable to read system devices not sure on that one never come across that. The new hdd has sys board missing in device manager or old hdd? Whichever one doesn't matter but drivers from chaintech need installing.

I didn't say System Board doesn't appear. I said when you click on System Board in Device Manager it says "No drivers are installed for this device". That's on the old HD. I understand the chipset drivers "should" be installed, but if they aren't installed on the old HD then it would seem the lack of chipset drivers isn't causing the "cable is unplugged" error on the new drive (since it doesn't do that on the old HD). That's why I'm asking about this.

That said a system without proper drivers running on generic drivers installed by os may lead to incompatabilities and things not working as they should.

My old installation (on the old HD) has worked perfectly, so I'd like to try and duplicate it as closely as possible on the new one. If certain drivers aren't installed on the old one, I don't want to install them on the new one until I get everything working the way it does on the old HD.

If you do not have onboard graphics that is a graphics chip integrated with mobo and have a separate card yu will need the drivers for that as well.

I have a PCI graphics card that my monitor is plugged into. But I didn't install any drivers for it (or for the monitor) on the new HD, it just works when I plug it in.

#12 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

I haven't installed drivers for my motherboard off of the disk it came with because it didn't ask me to. Am I supposed to do that?

You asked this question and it has been answered check device manager on your old hd and see what drivers are installed without exclamation or question marks some system devices need drivers.

A cuple of articles below you may want to read.

http://strategicopinions.com/computers-int...-your-computer/

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Its-Importan...&id=4209201

Computer manufacturers would not ship new computers with hardware specific drivers at an expense to them if they were not needed.

I hope you find the solution you are looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users