Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 granmaf

granmaf

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:47 AM

i am new to this, just built my first computer without much problems but i want to boot from the sata drive. i have a ide drive in now and a sata both are formatted primary drives and are viewed in disk management but i cannot boot from the sata alone even tho i made it bootable. don't know how to set the bios up, it doesn't have anything that i know of that says to make it boot from sata, please help i'd like to use this drive.also would like some info on power supply, just got a cheap case to start with that had a power supply in it. also what kind of heatsink would you recommend, i don't think the one i have is good enough,because it gets hot sometimes. thanks

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name Abit KW7 (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA Apollo KT880
System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (10/01/04) Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Video Adapter ALL-IN-WONDER 9700 SERIES - Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter ALL-IN-WONDER 9700 SERIES (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (R300)
Monitor Dell P991 [19" CRT] (8376T0AP0011)
Audio Adapter Creative SB0410 SB Live! 24-bit Sound Card
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller VIA SATA RAID Controller
Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1 (18 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive WDC WD80 0JD-98JNC0 SCSI Disk Device (74 GB)
Optical Drive PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A (DVD+R9:6x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Optical Drive SONY CD-ROM CDU5222
Partitions
C: (NTFS) 19092 MB (9498 MB free)
G: (NTFS) 76316 MB (68205 MB free)
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)
Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Motherboard 53 C (127 F)
CPU 60 C (140 F)
Aux 63 C (145 F)
WDC WD800JD-98JNC0 46 C (115 F)
CPU 6136 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.70 V
Aux 2.74 V
+3.3 V 3.34 V
+5 V 5.11 V
+12 V 12.46 V
-12 V -6.44 V
-5 V -3.39 V
+5 V Standby 5.14 V
Field Value
VBAT Battery 3.26 V

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:52 AM

I can't seem to find the manual on the ABit KW7 but if the bios is anything like the KV7 you need to go to the Advanced Bios Features page and set Boot Other Device to Enabled.

First Boot Device/Second Boot Device/Third Boot Device/Boot Other Device

Select the drive to boot first, second and third in the [First Boot Device], [Second Boot Device], and [Third Boot Device] items respectively. The BIOS will boot the operating system according to the drive selected. Set [Boot Other Device] to [Enabled] if you wish to boot from another device other than these three items.

Products Motherboards KV7 Manual

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:10 AM

Motherboard 53 C (127 F)
CPU 60 C (140 F)
Aux 63 C (145 F)
WDC WD800JD-98JNC0 46 C (115 F)
CPU 6136 RPM

Like you said I think you have a problem with cooling, those are terrible temperatures for an Athlon and the CPU fan is about to blow a gasket. I can't recommend specific coolers though but I'm sure others will.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:23 AM

Just my 2 - Windows hates to boot from SATA. I had to remove all drives from my system (when installing on my SATA drive) in order to get it to recognize the SATA as the boot drive.

This was complicated by my having an IDE drive with an intact boot sector on it at the time (I was trying to save my old copy of XP on the IDE drive while installing a new copy on the SATA drive). What happened was that the system would boot off of the IDE drive and then would move to the SATA drive to load Windows. I fixed it by removing the IDE when I installed Windows and the SATA.

Good Luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users