Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dv6 laptop wifi not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jackal666

Jackal666

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:39 AM

Hello All,

I am trying to fix my brother-in-law's laptop hp pavilion dv6, windows 7 (64-bit). He is having problems connecting to the internet through the laptop wifi. It shows all the surrounding routers including his, but won't connect either way. He has a sprint wifi card that he uses to connect with no problems. Now, if that is working, than what is causing the laptop wifi not to work? I even looked on the hp website for any answers, and this is what I have read from other people using the same model:

1) Having the laptop plugged in the ac for most of the time might cause the motherboard to overheat and cause the wifi to not function. (My brother-in-laws does kinda have it plugged in most of the time, that I have seen.)

2) Might have to download the new version of the Bios, wireless assistant, and the wireless drivers off the hp website. Install software, reboot and just incase re-install the bios and that should fix the problem.

3) The motherboard might be the problem, might have to fix or buy a new motherboard. (Heh! Ahhhhh, I hope not, it's not even 6 months old.) :huh:

Well if anybody out there have any suggestions as to how this problem can be fixed, please feel free to throw them my way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EverWin

EverWin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

hi

Step 1:
Control panel>>Network & Sharing Center>>Manage Wireless ....(to left hand side panel)>>remove all wifi credential (Stored WIFI SSID & WIFI Password)
try connecting Wifi again

Step 2:
Control panel>>Network & Sharing Center>>Change adapter settings>>Wireless connection (Right click select properties)>>TCP/IPv4>>Put manual IP Address & Put DNS as below

dns:-- 208.67.222.222
alt: 208.67.220.220

best of Luck

Regards,
harjit

#3 Jackal666

Jackal666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

Thank you for your help everwin. I haven't tried your suggestion just yet.

My brother in law now tells me that his internal wifi doesn't work unless he connects thru the sprint program. Now I wonder if by chance this sprint program has overwritten some thing from the internal wifi drivers??? He doesn't need to connect the wireless card now. He has uninstalled the software and reinstalled with the same situation. Any ideas???

#4 ThatGirl

ThatGirl

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

I have the exact same laptop (bought used) and as far as I know this is a known motherboard issue for the DVX000 series :/ , pretty much the wifi card is known to go from bad to worse. As it is right now my own Wifi card doesn't work, but if I restart a billion and one times it will suddenly become enabled. Supposedly getting the motherboard replaced will fix this issue :/

But I do have one question, when the wificard is not turning on, does the wifi assistant run? If it does then your problem is different, but if it doesn't (You double click and the blue circle appears, and then vanishes. Or if you pull up the other menu that has the wifi assistant in it and the wifi assitant doesn't appear.) Then you just have a crappy laptop. Sorry :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users