Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Empty folder & 2 empty sub-folders in C:\ prog files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

Calling on all Bleepin' XP-erts!!! :thumbsup: I need some help here, although there's no sense of urgency, it's only a superficial problem--at least I think it is.

Dell Laptop Win XP Home SP 3

During the course of normal system maintenance--cleaning up files, folders, progs & such I came across a folder in C:\Program files\ microsoft frontpage (I thought it odd that it was listed in lower-case) A check of it's properties showed it empty but for 2 sub-folders--also empty. I don't recall ever having "frontpage" installed, never heard of it in fact.

The two sub-folders are "version3.0" and "bin" Long story short, after un-ticking the "read-only" box & applying it to all folders contained I tried to delete the frontpage folder. It would not delete because (bin) is being used by another person or program. Close any programs ...etc...and try again.

I tried renaming the "bin" folder & deleting, tried dragging it to another directory and deleting it from there...no dice. All this was done while keeping the "properties" dialog boxes open for all 3 folders (click "apply" & NOT OK or close).

There are some other folders also named "bin" in C:\ Prog Files directory, 1 used by Java, another by ????. Here's a sreengrab of the search:

Posted Image

Screenshot of the error message:

Posted Image

Is the bin folder locked by a process or an M$ contractual obligation much like the equally empty & un-deleteable "Xerox" folder? Anyone have a solution?

Or should I just leave it be? Thanks in advance for the anticipated informational replies.

DA THUG.
Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 03 August 2010 - 02:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Front Page is part of MS Office...do you have any version of Office Installed?

.bin files are routine, see What Are .bin Files?

Louis

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

.bin files are routine, see What Are .bin Files?

Louis

Louis: Thanks for the reply. No I don't have any version of Office, but it may have been installed at one time. The laptop used to belong to my Dad who died 4 yrs ago. Long story short, I recall that my nephew, who is quite adept at techy stuff, uninstalled a LOT of the OEM crap/bloat that came installed with the machine, a time honored Dell tradition. That would go a long way in explaining why this empty folder is still here, if it were the case (I believe it's probably about an 80% chance)

As for your description of .bin files, the "bin" I am referring to is NOT a file, but a folder. Thanks, the info you provided was useful anyway even though it does not apply to this "problem"

I am taking an uneducated guess here, but I believe this folder in question:

C:/Program Files/microsoft frontpage/Version 3.0/bin

is most likely a deeply protected system file in some way and will leave it alone until someone much smarter than I comes along and shows me a way that it can be deleted with no damage being done to the OS. I've done a little digging around on "The Google" and this is a fairly common question, with no clear solution--only "expert" theories.

Thanks again, your attention is greatly "Bleepin'" appreciated!

Edit to add: Thanks for the link to FileInfo.com I hadn't stumbled across that site before and I've added it to my *Starred* bookmarks.

Edited by Union_Thug, 03 August 2010 - 12:21 PM.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Louis

That info was very useful info, thanks! I did s'more digging and found the following:

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301#top

Sometimes you cannot uninstall the existing 2003, 2007 or 2010 Microsoft Office suite on your computer by using the Add or Remove Programs feature in Control Panel of Windows XP ....You can uninstall the Microsoft Office system by going to the appropriate "Fix it for me" section that matches your version of Microsoft Office. .....

Tried with the "fix it for me" for Office 2003 @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301#FixItForMe
No dice. Clicked the link on Fix It GUI for support which lead me to this:

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.a...ect=1&sd=gn

Upgrade to Expression Web
The version of FrontPage you are seeking support for might not be eligible for free support through Microsoft. The FrontPage brand has been retired and replaced with Expression Web to support the latest web standards.
A search of my laptop returned this: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\40\bin which contained some dll's for "Frontpage"

I'm getting closer, to what I don't know---but I'm getting closer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users