Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Microphone Situation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kopaka1888

kopaka1888

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

I just bought a new headset for my laptop, which has a microphone attached. So when I wanted to try it out i found that I only have one audio input slot and two jacks: the microphone and the speakers. My question is do I need to return the headset or will a splitter work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:48 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I read your question, you say you have a headset with has a microphone, typically, most computer heatsets come with a microphone.

These headsets come with two 3 conducter jacks, one red and one black, each has a picture of either a microphone or a headset, to idenify which plug goes for which feature. Both the microphone and headset jacks are 3 conducter for STEREO sound (Left/Right channels)

There should be a jack for the microphone and a seperate jack for a headset on your laptop.

I am not sure why you would need a splitter at all, so your question is a bit confusing and hard to follow.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 kopaka1888

kopaka1888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

yes, but this laptop only has one slot and it is for either, or. so that is where i am running into a problem, because i have two input cables and only one slot.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

Can you pls post the make/model # of the laptop
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

I'm guessing the laptop has a built-in microphone, the reason why they chose to leave out the microphone jack.

So you'll have to use the headset with the laptop's built-in microphone.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users