Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which back-up/synch software is right for me?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mrpunk50

mrpunk50

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

Hi all,

This is my first post outside the intro section, so hello. Also, I hope this is the right section for this thread.

I've finally got my act together and decided that I need a decent back-up solution for my data. So, as the title states, I'm looking for software recommendations from anyone with a little more experience of these things. I'll describe my requirements and hopefully someone can prescribe me the right software!

- I use a 1TB Samsung external drive, containing all my non-system files. It is this that I'm most interested in backing up.
- I have two 40GB internal drives, one system, one non-system. It would be good to back these up too, but the external is my priority.
- Both non-system drives (internal and external) contain a Truecrypt container that occupies half of their full capacity.
- I have a brand new 1TB Hitachi drive which will act as my back-up device.
- I need some free software that will automate my backing-up.

A pretty basic situation, I guess, but most of the back-up/synch software I've looked at (including the Samsung and Hitachi software bundled with my externals) seems primarily designed to back up system drives. My main interest is in synching the two externals. I have no clue how the Truecrypt containers will factor into this. Since they just act like regular files I assume it wont be an issue.

I'm not really sure what other info to give at this stage, so I'll wait to see if any kind soul is willing to assist me before I expand on anything else.

All the best,
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

If you're willing to pay, go with this . It's called NovaBACKUP.

Not sure how good this will work or not either, but: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/SyncBack.html .

Or SyncToy if on Windows: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en .

I really can't think of a good program that syncs the two externals... SyncBack or SyncToy might work.

Sorry if I didn't help too much, that's all I could think of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users