Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find one workstation/printer on network for one computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ascoredhat

ascoredhat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

Hello folks,

Here's hoping this problem won't make me look as dumb as my earlier one did (where I just had to reboot the computer to fix the problem I was having).

I set up a new computer on my network with Win7 Pro. All the other computers have XP Pro. I got it added to the network, it's sharing files on the server, and even got it to add one printer on one of the other workstations (WS1).

But when I bring up the list of computers in the domain to choose from to Add a Printer, it doesn't show the computer I want to add the printer from (WS4). In my network neighborhood, all the computers are shown except for that one.

It's weird because all the other computers are sharing it's printer, but oddly WS4 doesn't show up in THEIR list of computers in the domain either. To be honest, I'm not sure how they found that computer bypassing the domain. Maybe XP Pro has something that allowed the search to go around that stumbling block.

In the Win7 Pro Add a Printer search, I tried putting in the path of WS4 and it's printer designation, but it still can't find it.

One point I found interesting was I went to the Server and looked in its Network list and it, too, doesn't have that computer in the domain (mycompany-dm). But it is in another folder listing computers in mycompany.com). I don't know enough about networks to have any idea what that even means. Maybe just somewhere along the line I forgot to add it to the domain, though I might be nervous about trying to play around with WS4 to make it add to the domain for fear of messing things up so that none of the other computers can find it's printer anymore. Or is adding it to the domain the only way to make the new computer find its printer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ascoredhat

ascoredhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

Hmmm. No replies. Well, maybe if I add just one single question, then I "think" I know what to do.

Since the new workstation in question seems like it can't add another workstation's printer since, for whatever reason, the workstation with the printer is not a part of the domain of the network, if I went into system properties in that computer and under Computer Name clicked on Network ID and added that computer to the domain, would doing that change the path in which all the other computers with XP have been using it's printer?

Although it does seem to make sense to add it to the domain so as the new computer with Win7Pro can find it to add its printer, I wouldn't want to do that and end up cutting off the current path where all the other computers are using its printer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users