Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connetion Problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CompDummy69

CompDummy69

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me as I am rather frustrated. I am new to the forums here and am not real good with technical things , so I will not be offended if you speak very simply to me so I can understand better. :huh: I bought a new HP desktop computer last September (model s5150t) which operates with Vista 64 bit.(which I hate but that is another story lol) My bf and I are the only people who use this computer at home. We each have our own separate accounts (log ons) to use.We currently use dial -up to access the internet and Norton is installed and I subscribed for 3 years so I cannot get rid of Norton. However, when I tried to access it today it would not open at all and stated it could not open it and to uninstall and reinstall which I cannot do because I do not have a disc or product key but this is not my problem. Anyway, soon after I got the computer I noticed under my acct. as administrator,I could not name or change any folder names...everything I saved to a folder was called "new folder" which made things rather confusing. Also, when I was on certain webpages like facebook,certain games would never load. However, under my bf's acct. he had no difficulty naming folders or accessing the same games I could not. In fact, he could not even access his yahoo mail under my acct. Nothing on the computer should be any different under his log on and mine, as for settings and what not.

Ok, fast forward to a month ago. I could not set up a network or any connectivity online under my acct. I was on the phone with technical support and they said it was an HP problem so I called them and for hours the tech guy promised "this will work" and NOTHING did. Somehow I mentioned in passing about my bf acct. and mine not always working. So suddenly he says to try again under my bf's acct. It worked this time. Hp guy said I probably had a corrupted registry and to set up a new administrator acct. and then move all my folders etc. and then delete or just don't use the old acct. So I haven't. The new acct. seemed to work just fine. I can change folders names etc. However, last night "something" happened. I was logged under my name and online and something kicked me off and then I could not get back online. It showed I was online but everytime I tried opening Internet Explorer I kept getting this message. "...xxx.com is not set up to establish a connection on port "World Wide Web service(HTTP)" with this computer. verify the current proxy server configuration."

As far as I can tell my bf's acct. settings are identical to mine, but I cannot view any internet pages thru my log on. I do not want to set up another acct. all over again. It is time consuming and not really solving anything. Any clue on what is going wrong and how to solve it?? My bf has used his acct. ever since we got the computer and he never has a problem. My acct. has all the pictures etc. and things I need when I go online so I can't do everything I need to do online under his log on. And again, I am a dummy when it comes to computer stuff, so please be kind!! :huh:

Edited by boopme, 02 August 2010 - 09:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users