Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot drive (with XP) going bad, now what?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wee Willy

Wee Willy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

Hi

For a while now, I've been receiving a message when I boot up telling me that my hard drive is BAD and wants me to press F1 or F2 to continue. I would always continue, intending to get some advice somewhere.

Then, it wouldn'y boot. It told me something was wrong with some file and told me to use a different boot device.

I put it in a different computer to look at it and the computer went into some sort of repair mode. When it was all done, it had 'repaired' some sectors, plus I could read it. Back in the orig computer, it booted!!

I ran CHKDSK on it, but no problems surfaced.

OK, I need a new hard drive. It seems that MS, in it's efforts to curb piracy, has made it very difficult for us 'normal people' to effect 'normal' maintenance. My computer is @ 10 years old, but I've owned it only a couple of years, consequently, it's got a lot of SW for which I do not have disks. The SW has become quite valuable to me, so I don't want to lose it.

How can I replace this hard drive with another and still keep all my software?

Wee Willy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

My 2 cents...

You can use hard disk cloning utilities like EASEUS Disk Copy or Norton Ghost, to make a clone of your existing Windows installation and transfer the same to the new hard disk.

The other way of going about it is to perform a clean installation of Windows on the new hard disk and transfer the data from the old hard disk to the new one. This of course means, you will have to reinstall all the programs you need. However, you could just download the latest releases for your software collection and install them on the new hard disk. So it would ultimately be a fresh start, leaving no margin for errors and other OS/program related issues.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Wee Willy

Wee Willy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

ReviverSoft

Yes I could use cloning utilities like you suggested. I haven't ever used the ones you mentioned before, so I'm not sure what all is involved. I have used the utilities included with a new hard drive that had a similar purpose, except they would copy partitions. If the source partition was smaller or equal in size to the destination partition, then all would go well.

You stated, "You can use hard disk cloning utilities like EASEUS Disk Copy or Norton Ghost, to make a clone of your existing Windows installation and transfer the same to the new hard disk."

What's a clone? Sounds like a file.

What all is involved in the action of transferring the clone to the new ... disk? Almost sounds sorta like 'unzipping' a compressed file.

If I want to clone a 120G Drive, how big is this clone going to be and where is it going to live?

-----------------------------------------------

You also suggested an 'other' way - a clean install of windows on the new drive, then transferring the data from the old drive to the new one.

By data, I assume you mean pictures, letters, documents, etc.

I agree that this means a reinstallation of all the SW I need (want). While this does imply a large amount of time, it is only possible if the user (me) has the required installation files/CDs. However, like I said originally, for me, they haven't existed for years, so that's not an option.

You then continued, saying, "However, you could just download the latest releases for your software collection and install them on the new hard disk."

I don't understand this instruction. One of the programs I have is Microsoft Office, Professional, 2003, SP3. Could you explain, using this program as an example, just exactly how I would go about "downloading the latest releases for" this program "and install it "on the new hard disk" - in excruciating detail, please?

I would be highly appreciative!!! I hope you can overlook my apparent 'dense-ness'. :thumbsup:

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Hi there,

Let me address your queries in favour of the clean installation.

One of the programs I have is Microsoft Office, Professional, 2003, SP3. Could you explain, using this program as an example, just exactly how I would go about "downloading the latest releases for" this program "and install it "on the new hard disk"

You download it from the Microsoft site and use your license key.
Did you know that Office 2003 was followed by 2007 and now, the 2010 Edition? :thumbsup:

it is only possible if the user (me) has the required installation files/CDs. However, like I said originally, for me, they haven't existed for years, so that's not an option.
Well, I'm sure Google will find atleast a few instances (installation files) of the software you need.
Who knows? you might just get a newer version of the software.

By data, I assume you mean pictures, letters, documents, etc.

Yep.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 August 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#5 Wee Willy

Wee Willy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:47 PM

ReviverSoft -

Let me be sure I understand you ... You are telling me that I, an owner of a computer with MS Office 2003, Prof version installed - if I have the key, I can update 2003 Office to 2010 Office? One jump, or in stages? I can't imagine that Microsoft would let me do that with no charge, am I right?

So, assuming I go through with this, you are telling me that I will be able to download a single file which may be moved to any drive on which XP (or Vista, or ...) is installed - without a single file from the previous installation existing on the target computer? Assuming your answer is "YES", what will prevent me from installing it on multiple computers?

In answer to my question about what to do if I don't have the software disks, in part, you answered, "Well, I'm sure Google will find atleast a few instances (installation files) of the software you need. " Is that true for the Office example, above or are you referring to something else? If so, what (pardon my apparent dim-wittedness)? I don't know of any commercial software for which that is true. How are they going to make any money if one can just download their software?

Back to cloning - how does one put a cloned (boot) drive onto another drive and expect it to run w/o problems? There's got to be a (legal) way - even if it might be convoluted. If you want, email me.

Wee Willy

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hi Wee,

1. Correct, that would be an upgrade (03 to 10) and there would be a charge involved.
The download I was referring to was Office 2003, which is what you have a key for.

2. In most cases, the software can be downloaded for FREE. It's the activation/license key that you need to have, to reactivate the software on your computer.
You could visit the software publisher's website to know more about reinstallation and downloads.

3. I don't have much experience with Cloning, just know the basics.

These links should help though:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=418
http://www.bay-wolf.com/ghostclone.htm

Edited by ReviverSoft, 03 August 2010 - 06:08 PM.

#7 Wee Willy

Wee Willy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

ReviverSoft -

Thanks for the info. While waiting for your reply, I inventoried my selection of harddrives, trying to decide if space was the only pertinent criteria. In the pursuit of the answer to THAT question, I found myself spending time at the Seagate, MAXTOR, and Western Digital websites. Each of them had information about cloning, so I finally got a definition that included a selection of techniques along with a (more than brief) dissertation on the plus & minuses of the particular technique, BASED ON A CONTEXT WHICH WAS THE RESULT OF A SPECIFIC SET OF CHOICES BY THE USER - a set of answers to a series of 'what-if' questions, but totally without the format.

I'm getting kind of wordy here. Just suffice it to say their descriptions were extensive, complete, and had enough detail to satisfy almost anybody without alienating the less focused of us.

I checked your links out and found the PCSTATS article to be quite informative and useful because it was in the "101" level.

The Bay-Wolf link was also interesting because of the completeness of the article wrt ALL the dialogues being covered, not just the 'default' ones - but I won't be using Ghost, though.

I will be using one of the 'free' tools, but haven't quite decided on which one.

I'll get back here when I finish my cloning and associated activation to pursue the rest of my issues. I suspect that you would prefer that I start a new topic when I begin that pursuit, 'nicht war'?

Thanks for your help

Wee Willy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users