Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on Win 7 x64

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Inq_PL

Inq_PL

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

I have Alienware m15x, windows 7 x64, I reinstalled my OS and I actually do have some drivers missing, Base system device (three of them) Ethernet controller(although I have updated one from intel), and consumer IR devices stopped working. Could someone help me out and try to fix it. Please let me know which tests you would like me to perform. Thank you in advance.

I seriously have no idea which drivers to download and the ones from the actual dell website for my model do not install or are not for x64 but x86. please let me know asap. thank you.

I have done a system restore which does not help at all. none of the previous healthy system points are healthy now. it goes BSOD anyways. And it stopped creating minidumps one day for some reason. I did something one day to get detailed crashdumps but it didn't do any instead.

p.s. I am using my other laptop for posting here.

TX

Edited by Inq_PL, 02 August 2010 - 05:49 PM.

Inq_PL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3chie

t3chie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

Well, according to this link

http://support.dell.com/

They only list 64-bit drivers for that specific laptop.

I'm working, so I'll try to give you more of an update here in a bit if you've already been to that site.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Mahatma Gandhi

#3 Inq_PL

Inq_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

I have partially solved it. It was the NOD 32 AV trial that caused it. After uninstalling it, it all came back to normal. I don't have AV now though. I will try installing it again and see if it works this time. Also. I have enabled driver update through windows update software and it found updates to the CIR I mentioned above and one of the Base system device drivers. I am still missing two of the Base system device and the intel ehternet controlle which I am still working on and trying to find which one is good for me(from the intel website)

Thank you for your reply

all best,

Inq
Inq_PL

#4 t3chie

t3chie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

Glad to read that. :huh:
If you want some suggestions in the mean time, there was a list complied here in another thread.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/333989/64bit-working-antispyware/

My personal recommendation is Microsoft Security Essentials.

Have a nice day.

Edited by t3chie, 02 August 2010 - 07:46 PM.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Mahatma Gandhi

#5 Inq_PL

Inq_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

I have malwarebytes, spybot, spywareblaster, I had nod and I will try to get it again. as of now I have my drivers up to date thanks to driver updates through windows update and I just downloaded LAN driver from dell website AGAIN since it wouldn't install initially due to error. No error after second download and install. Now I just need to try NOD32 trial again and keep fingers crossed. TX for your replies.

Inq
Inq_PL

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials has been reported on severl security web sites as being a very good program, free or otherwise. Do a little Googling about MSE. For free it looks good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users