Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't introduce new Win7Pro computer to XPPro network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ascoredhat

ascoredhat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hello,

I have a network with several workstations with XP Pro and one server with Win2000 Server, and recently one of the workstations went belly up and we went ahead and got a new computer which came with Win 7 Home on it.

Not being the knowledgeable sort, I tried to get it infiltrated with our network, but the closest I could get was where it could see the internet over it, but not share with the other computers or add to the domain.

I found out, of course, that the Home Edition won't add to a domain, nor see XP computers. So I upgraded from Microsoft online to the Pro Edition of Windows 7.

Using my limited intelligence and hoping the computer would be able to do the work, I tried to change it's network settings to add to the domain so I could get it to access the files on the server, as well as the printers on other computers in the network, but with no luck. Now it doesn't even see the internet.

In the System Properties, I gave the computer a name (Veronica) which I can see listed in the mycompany-dm domain on the server, it lists Domain: "mycompany.com" in the Computer Name tab (which is how the domain is listed on all the other computers, too). But when I restart and try to do the ctl-alt-del to log on, I put in the computer name and password, but it says "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request". I'm guessing this is because it can't find the internet, which I'm not sure how I lost that since it did see the internet before I tried to add it to the network. The map shows "Veronica (This Computer) ------ Unidentified Network ----X---- Internet".

When I tried something called Troubleshooting Network Diagnostics, a message came up saying "Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration - not fixed".

Since I'm not too sure what the IP configuration is, I'm not sure how to fix it.

Any advice to help guide me to getting this computer onto the rest of the network where, hopefully, the rest of the computers will welcome it with open arms and kisses and share their printers like Barney the Dinosaur would want them to, will be greatly appreciated by this bumbling (but sincere) computer challenged dope.

Thanks!
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesJ

MilesJ

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hey Dave, sorry about the issues your having. Personally I am terrible with Windows Server all I would think is make sure your IP Configuration on the Veronica computer is setup like it should be. Might want to check out the Server forum there would be more Windows Server pros who could help iron this out for you.

Server Forum

Thanks.
Miles
Student of Networking & Network Security

#3 ascoredhat

ascoredhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

Okay, not sure how I fixed it (I typed ipconfig/all in the run box, though I thought all that did was give me a readout on it's configurations - lol ) and the computer shut down and when I turned it back on again, I could get on the internet. And not only that, I could get in the network.

Now I only have one problem left, but I won't post it here. Probably better to start fresh and get rid of all that junk above with a brand new topic post.

#4 MilesJ

MilesJ

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

Okay, not sure how I fixed it (I typed ipconfig/all in the run box, though I thought all that did was give me a readout on it's configurations - lol ) and the computer shut down and when I turned it back on again, I could get on the internet. And not only that, I could get in the network.

Now I only have one problem left, but I won't post it here. Probably better to start fresh and get rid of all that junk above with a brand new topic post.

Haha well seems that it had the proper settings they needed a reboot. Glad to see you worked it out!

Miles
Student of Networking & Network Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users