Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Keeps Freezing!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 qwerty11

qwerty11

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:07 AM

Well anytime I try to do anything that makes the computer barely think it locks up. It even locks up when I run windows setup off of the cd. Anybody know what this might be, I am guessing it is hardware related but donít really know. I have tried system restore and it did not work. I am running XP home with service pack 2 and all other updates.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:01 AM

:thumbsup: to BC.
What makes you think it is hardware related? Have you unplug you computer open the case and clean the dirt and lent out? Check and make sure all of the fans including the video card fan is working and the heat sinks are clean and free of trash.
Clean you system, defrag, and disk cleanup (in accessiores).

Edited by acklan, 26 October 2005 - 06:02 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 qwerty11

qwerty11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:17 AM

No dust, all fans working, it freezes as soon as a run disc clean up or defrag.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? If not, then do this:

ē Download and scan with Ad-Aware SE 1.06.
Setup & Configure as shown here.
Note: If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here. If you need help, read: How to manually update Ad-Aware.

ē Download and scan with Spybot S&D 1.4.
Setup & Configure as shown here.
Note: If you encounter any error messages while downloading the updates, manually download them from here.

ē Download and scan with CCleaner.

ē Download and scan with Ewido Security Suite 3.5.
1. After download, double click on the file to launch the install process.
2. During installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
3. Launch ewido by double-clicking the "e" icon on your desktop.
4. The program will prompt you to update - click the "OK" button.
5. On the left side of the main screen, click on "Update" and then click "Start Update". The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
6. After the updates are installed, you will see "Update Successful" in the lower left corner. If you are having problems with the updater, manually update from here.

Once the updates are installed do the following:
1. Click on "Scanner" and choose "Settings".
2. Under the bottom section "What to Scan?" make sure "Scan every file" is selected.
3. Select "OK" and you will return to scanning options.
4. On the main screen click on "Complete System Scan" to start the scan.
5. While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file if finds. Put a check next to "Perform action on all infections" in the lower left corner.
6. Then choose "Clean" and click "OK".
7. When the scan has completed, Ewido will create a report.txt file.
8. Click the "Save Report" button on the bottom of the screen and save the log to your desktop.
9. Exit Ewido when done.

Note: DO NOT USE the computer while Ewido is scanning. If Explorer or the Control Panel are opened some malware types will reinfect your system or will not be cleaned properly.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:53 PM

Well anytime I try to do anything that makes the computer barely think it locks up. It even locks up when I run windows setup off of the cd. Anybody know what this might be, I am guessing it is hardware related but donít really know. I have tried system restore and it did not work. I am running XP home with service pack 2 and all other updates.

Thanks for the help.

A friend of mine has/or had a similar problem. 1.2GHz WinXP Home, 384 MB Ram. The problem started after we installed a stick of 256MB Ram, and a CD-Burner. We tried running the PC with only the old ram, and then only the new ram. We haven't tried running it without the CD-Burner, But I didn't think that could be the cause.

Any ideas?

#6 qwerty11

qwerty11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:58 PM

Well the spyware programs ran fine up untill I got to the Ewido Security Suite and then the computer froze. I tried multiple times to restart the computer and run it again and it still keeps freezing. I havnt added or removed anything from the computer since I bought it.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:57 PM

Did you try to run Ewido for Safe mode?

#8 qwerty11

qwerty11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:40 PM

No I have not but the computer freezes in safe mode just like it does when it is running normally, I dont see why it wouldtn do it with that program aswell.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:12 PM

If you have AVG try running it from the command (START>RUN>CMD). Here is the link.
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?1,51009,51010
If you do not have AVG but another anti-virus let me know and I will research it for you. Running from the command(CMD) you are scanning before windows base virus can start.

Edited by acklan, 26 October 2005 - 08:12 PM.

#10 qwerty11

qwerty11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

If you have AVG try running it from the command (START>RUN>CMD). Here is the link.
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?1,51009,51010
If you do not have AVG but another anti-virus let me know and I will research it for you. Running from the command(CMD) you are scanning before windows base virus can start.

I have trend micro.

On another note I tried running Memtest86 3.2 and the test was 92% pass was 6% when the COMPUTER FROZE again!!!

Is this all software or hardware related?????

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:22 PM

I would have to believe it is a memory chip failure. How many sticks of ram are in your computer? If you have two or more try removing is leaving one at a time and see if it clears up.

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:33 AM

I havnt added or removed anything from the computer since I bought it.

My questions are:
When was that?
No programs added or removed since then?
What exactly is your computer?

If you want to know in technical terms, google Everest Home Edition and you will find a way to download that program. It will tell you a lot more than you'll likely understand, but it is straightforward and easy to use. Free.
The report(s) can be copy/pasted complete or with a little practice, just parts of them, to aid in diagnosis.
It is spyware free, and often will run even in the presence of malware.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:37 AM

I thought I would lend a link... Everest Home.

Hope ya"ll don't mind. Merry Christmas.

PS you should hurry if you are going to download. It is no longer available at Snapfiles.com

#14 qwerty11

qwerty11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:45 AM

Well I put new ram in it (512mb ddr333) went to reinstall windows and it starts freezing again. So what is up with my computer now?

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:44 PM

Are you able to get into Windows? Even into Safe Mode? If so, go straight to your Event Viewer and start looking for errors there.

Then, please follow the above advice and send us an Everest report - it'll help to diagnose this problem.

On another note I tried running Memtest86 3.2 and the test was 92% pass was 6% when the COMPUTER FROZE again!!!

This tells me that it's not Windows related - since windows wasn't even running during the MemTest86 test. Were there any errors shown before it froze again?

Electricity heats up wires as it goes through them. Heat makes the wires expand and contract. After doing this for a long, long time - some of the little wires may break. This is just one possibility for the system freezing even though you haven't done anything to it.

When you put the new RAM in - did you unplug the computer from the wall, and did you ground yourself the entire time while you were handling and installing the new memory? (I'm about at the point where I believe that I've hosed my RAM for just this very reason - I'm typing on my backup system right now!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users