Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I just ordered a refurbished Toughbook. Was I smart or lacking in judgment?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hi All
Well I went and did something that I hope was not foolish. I have been looking for a netbook to take on business trips. In my search I stumbled across refurbished Panasonic Toughbooks for sale ( $359) . I have always liked these but have been put off by the price. From the reviews these appear to have been turned in leased machines. Kind of the luck of the draw if you end up with a decent one but they do have a 90 day warranty.For my business I need Windows Office and Quickbooks. Other then these I just need to check E mail on occasion. This is strictly a secondary / backup computer. My Desktop is a Dell Optiplex running XP home, SP2. Comments on what I just ordered would be welcome ( I think?)
Best Regards
Nawtheasta
Here are the specs from the web site.
Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 Touchscreen Laptop PC (Refurbished)
Panasonic Toughbook computer has been ruggedized inside and out to protect screens, cases, keyboards and hard drives
Laptop is resistant to drops, liquid spills and falling objects
Notebook computer is designed for unparalleled performance and durability
Wireless Toughbook 29 is the industry's fastest fully rugged notebook PC
Sealed full magnesium alloy case and shock-mounted hard drive
Large antireflective, outdoor-readable LCD, it also ensures easy viewing in any light
Processor: Intel Centrino 1.4 Ghz
Display size: 13.3 Transmissive Touch XGA
Hard drive: 40 GB
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Optical drive: CDROM drive
Floppy drive: not included
PCMCIA slots: Two Type II slots
Pointing device: TrackPad, touch screen
Ports: Serial, parallel, USB
Modem: 56K
Ethernet network card: 10/100 NIC
Operating system: Windows XP Pro
Wireless: 802.11a/b/g Internal
Audio: SigmaTel 9751 audio controller
Integrated speaker
Convenient keyboard volume and mute controls

Edited by Nawtheasta, 02 August 2010 - 03:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

the laptop Im using right now I purchased refurbished for half the price it was new, its been going for like 4-5 years now with no problems. truth is, only time will tell if that was a good investment or not.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

Refurbished electronics can be a good deal. They're usually returned because of a problem, the good news is that this item will have a tech go through it thoroughly. So basically, you are getting a new piece of electronics at a really good price.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

Well I did receive the computer and so far have fallen in love with the darn thing. Super rugged. Magnesium shell. Lots of video on You tube with people doing crazy things to them. It seems that they will fail if you use an AK-47, High explosives or a fire hose but they do stand up to cars driving over them. :blink:
I was reading a police forum and It seems that this was a model that a lot of departments had in their cars. I think that a large number of these probably came off lease at the same time. I believe that they were over 3K new. I never could have justified putting that kind of money out for a new one but for $360.00 it was about the cost of a netbook. Touch screen is a nice feature also.
A bit baffled by the refurbish job. Keyboard and screen look new. A few dings on the bottom but a new paint job on top. Each port has a snap cover to seal it. Apparently they did not open the one on back as there was still some dust accumulation. Also the biggest surprise was when I opened the cover for the CD drive. There wasn’t one. Looks like the refurbisher missed that small detail. I have E mailed and hope they send one with out giving me a problem. I am not sending this unit back.
A question
For security I down loaded security essentials and am currently using windows fire wall. Is this adequate? Also I am going to Las Vegas next week. I will probably need to check E mails at pubic hot spots. Any security related advice for this?
Best regards
Nawtheasta

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

A lot of refurbished are display models, laptops traded off for new ones, ones that had problems or overstock. Typically, when one has a lot of them sometimes details get missed. They focus on the parts necessary to make them work, slight cosmetic scratches arent cost worthy to fix. As far as security, never been a fan of windows firewall, I tend to prefer Comodo.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

For checking e-mails at public hotspots I would recommend a vpn. My favorite free one is hotspotshield.com, but there are a lot out there. It will change your ip and encrypt your information to protect your privacy while on a public network. Hope this helps.

#7 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

August 9, 2010
Thanks for your responses folks! :blink: The refurbisher contacted me today and advised they would be sending the missing drive. They responded right away and I appreciate that. Everyone can make mistakes.

Hi Tommy28
Thanks for the info. on the VPN. I am leaning towards the Comodo pro package. Not sure if the hotspotshield product would conflict. Just so many different things to choose from!
Hi The-patriot09
I have looked into the Comodo firewall. It does get good ratings all around where as the Windows firewall just seems to get mediocre ratings.
Do you use just the firewall or also the free Anti Virus? There web site is a bit cagey about the internet security product.. I think that it is probably only available in the paid version. It also seems the latest release of internet security comes with a sandbox.
What do you think of their “Pro” paid version?
Also if I was to download these would I need to switch off the Windows products beforehand? I am always nervous about being “naked” on the web even for a few minutes.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Best regards
Nawtheasta

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

In the past, comodos anti virus has been a bit lacking in my opinion, their latest release doesn't seem to bad, though I tend to stick with Avast or AVG for my main antivirus as well as malwarebytes (I normally run 2-3 different antivirus as no single anti virus will ever catch all of them) The sandbox in the latest release is a nice feature, I use it a lot on my windows 7 machine. As far as the pro version, Ive never used it, I imagine it will have some tools and features not available with the free one. If you opt to go that route, I would be interested in hearing from you as to whether you like it or not.

As far as downloading them, you should be able to download it all with windows firewall turned on just fine, you just might want to disable windows firewall after comodo is installed, as the two will likely interfere with each other, but as far as the downloading, you shouldnt have to turn windows firewall off at all.

Edited by the_patriot09, 09 August 2010 - 05:59 PM.

picard5.jpg

#9 nqzdepofltr

nqzdepofltr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

Next time you might want to make sure it does not have any problems.
Sometimes people will return faulty computers and the new user will have problems using it.

Edited by nqzdepofltr, 11 August 2010 - 08:57 AM.

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Toughbooks are reliable but usually not the fastest things in the world. Usually they run about 1-2 generations behind regular laptops in the processing power and memory but thats because it takes that long to figure out the cooling in the Heavy duty sealed case. Not bad as long as you're not running memory and processing glutonous programs. The shop next to us had one and they used the same diagnostic software that we do and their toughbookcouldn't operate it after the last upgrade (2010 edition) so they ended up buying a Asus netbook that could but theirs was 6 years old at that time anyways. We have to get our shop PC "upgraded" (actually they give someone else a new PC and we get their old one) every 2 years to operate said program (it's a massive resource hog).

Posted Image

#11 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:41 PM

I don’t think this is a case of a faulty unit being returned. New paint job on top but bottom and sides have that
“ I’ve been in the field working until the lease ran out look”
Some scrapes and dings but does not look as if it was heavily abused.
Everything seems to work fine. Missing CD unit arrived today and installed with out a hitch.
A police forum I found had a lot of officers commenting about having these in their cruisers. They say these are Mil. Spec. computers
Like I said before I have always liked these but the new price, over $3000.00 just didn’t make any sense for my needs. I always buy desktops far beyond what I actually need in the hopes that they stay relevant for several years. This is more basic with a 40 G HD and 512MB ram but for E mail and some word processing it will be fine. It also came with XP Pro SP3. So it should be ok with support for a while
It has a little antenna to get a better wireless signal. We were in a heavily populated area Saturday night for a job. ( Wife’s a DJ) . For the heck of it I thought I would see if I could pickup a network. Picked up 6. 2 were unsecured.
Didn’t try to connect though as I don’t know if that is ethical. (Wonder if the parents know what some kids name their networks. :blink: )
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#12 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

Had the ToughBook a few months now. Works fine but extremely slow with the initial opening of programs. Use it in my shop to Web search and check E mail. Bought Comodo security protection in case I use it on the road. A Comodo tech remotely installs the program and resets what needs to be reset. For me it was a pleasure seeing someone else take care of these details.
Also downloaded Malwarebytes, SAS and SiteAdvisor.
Touch screen is a nice feature but a wireless mouse is what I use most. I think many folks would be put off with the slowness but as long as I start things up and give it a little run time to check for updates and open programs it works fine for my needs.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:09 AM

You might look into increasing your RAM, this is the quickest way to speed up your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:06 AM

Not sure why I received an E-Mail that someone posted on this topic?? See nothing for 8 years.

Toughbook still working fine. Start it every now and then. Keep it as a backup to check E Mails and for internet access in case the desktop goes down.

Phone has replaced most of my need for it.

Regards

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:13 AM

A spammer posted spam. That was removed, but we can't retract the notification. Cheers.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users