Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive not recognized in WXP SR3; only as CD Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 normsus

normsus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

2 IDE DVD Drives.

(1) ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P 9P59.
(2) SHW-160P65 PSOC.

They used to burn DVDs, but now only burn CDs. Windows only recognizes them as CD drives, but DVDs will play. I installed the latest LiteOn drivers.
I've been trying to figure this out for most of a year, but nothing that I've tried fixes the recognition problem.
The DVD discs that I am trying to burn are from the same box of discs that I had l burned successfully. A web search hasn't returned a solution.

Has anyone here had a similar problem.....any fixes? TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

You could try the following...it's just all that I see which might do it.

I suppose that it's also possible that your DVD portion of your burner might die...not sure if Windows would reflect/detect such.

Restore CD-DVD Drives to Explorer - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2010 - 04:16 PM.

#3 normsus

normsus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Louis.

I tried that; with no success. It did occur to me that both drives could have gone out, but both are just over a year old. So, that would be quite a coincidence. I may just have to give up on them.

Regards,
Norm

#4 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Windows XP doesn't natively support DVD burning the way it does CD burning, IIRC. Perhaps you had Roxio or Nero or some other such product and uninstall it? Give ImgBurn a try, see if you can burn to a DVD with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users