Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Wont Install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 republik

republik

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:37 AM

Hey there, i'm trying to help out a friend by fixing their computer. they took off their Telus anti virus program and ended up getting very badly infected. most ive been able to take out for the time being but avg and bit defender will not install.

the error i'm getting is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Now ive gone in to the regedit and took out all Ristricions ive used spybot ,adaware,highjack this,avast antivirus and just cant get AVG or bit defender to install.... i'm at wits end any ideas want me to post a highjack this log... it's super short not much in there. anyone know of Free Registry cleaners? i really dont wanna have to install windows this guy has tones of important files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:39 AM

Some free reg cleaners

RegCleaner - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html
WT RegCleanerXP - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3560.html
EasyCleaner - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html
Tweak Now RegCleaner - http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html
ccleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com

I've used ccleaner but I can't vouch for the others.

If you think you are infected submit a hijackthis log here.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

Try running the following from safe mode (Getting to safe-mode) Sysclean you'll also need the virus template file from here lpt***.zip remember to extract the contents of the zip file into the same folder as Sysclean.com

or

DrWeb CureIT

If your good with the command line also try Sophos Command Line scanner this command will scan all of your hdd's SAV32CLI.EXE -F -di -remove -dn -mbr -all -zip -p=avscanlog.txt and give you a log file to review afterwards.

Also try installing and running A2 Free and Ewido

Did you run Spybot(Spybot Tutorial) and Adaware from safe mode?

If your using Win2K/XP run adaware/spybot from "safe mode with command prompt"

At the C:\ prompt type the following:-

cd\
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix
cd\
C:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-awa~1\ad-aware.exe

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:37 AM

:thumbsup: to BC republik

You should only have ONE anti-virus package installed, ONE firewall and MANY anti-spyware programs. If you already have Avast installed you shoud uninstall it before trying to load AVG etc.

Try booting in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus and Anti-spyware scans there.

Please feel free to submit an HJT log to our expert analysis team - please read the links stidyup gave you. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:47 AM

the error i'm getting is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

It sounds like you are being denied access. What is the operating System? If its XP you need to be logged in as an Administrater unless one of the other programs you have installed has blocked your access.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 republik

republik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:01 AM

It sounds like you are being denied access. What is the operating System? If its XP you need to be logged in as an Administrater unless one of the other programs you have installed has blocked your access.

THanks for the quick replies, Yes win xp

1- i used avast only to remove the virus's thinking that it would remove the one which is not letting me install avg , i uninstalled it and then tried avg, didnt work so i tried bit defender. which still didnt work

2 thanks for the reg progies i'll try them out

3 heres my log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:54:13 AM, on 10/26/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Picture Package\Picture Package Applications\Residence.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Picture Package\Picture Package Menu\SonyTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\unzipped\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.telus.com/
O4 - Global Startup: Corel Family & Friends Reminders.LNK = C:\Program Files\Corel\Print House Magic 4 Premium\cffrem.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Picture Package VCD Maker.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Picture Package Menu.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\System32\d3dpi.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor (AdobeActiveFileMonitor) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Photoshop Elements Device Connect (PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect.exe

"

Finely #4

i do realize that i'm being access denied. the weird thing is when i press ctrl alt del two times at the log in screen i dont get an option to log in as admin... ive looked in users and no admin only the one which is called Lou the owners computer log in. which does have admin rights.

so thanks if anyone has anymore ideas i'm very welcome to them i'm gona try the reg cleaners and see what happens

ive tried

kill box , spybot s/d, adaware, high jack this, and a copple others...

#6 republik

republik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

K i ran CCreg and marked advanced items as well as the regular scann scanned and repaired then restarted then tried to install avg again and still the same error...

anyone know any console commands which would give user permissions.

also the weird thing is when i go in to regedit and look for that piticular file there is no abnormal looking string... just one file which says default. and looking at the properties theres no trojen type string with the tones of numbers.

any suggestions? i think i'm gona c

OMG sorry i just re read the first post and i'm gona try a coupple things i missed...

the safemode commmand prompt
that should work spybot just cant seem to get rid of something called HITbar so hopefully this will do it. crossing my fingers i'll repost with results

#7 republik

republik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:49 PM

Hey again.... so ive tried pretty much everything outlined in the first post. and talked with a friend of mine who owns a computer shop and he basicly says if ive tried all this stuff and it's still a no go then i should just back everything up and do a format grrrrr it's very frusterating. well thanks for your help i do come to BC a few times a week to do research. trying to keep uptodate with all this stuff.

#8 republik

republik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:08 AM

YAAAAAAAAAA I FIXED IT !!! so i went to the hkey and then i changed user permissions to FULL then was able to see all keys found the buggers that were messing me over and took them out with a whack of a few key strokes !!! it was HUNTBar which was messing it all up i think !!! so thanks to everyone who helped !!!! THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:18 AM

Well I don't have any idea what was going on, but congrats on fixing it. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users