Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Common sites now working all the time until "refresh"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pchambrin

pchambrin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

Up front, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place because I am not sure that this problem has ANYTHING to do with an infection.

My problem (actually an inconvenience) is that sometimes my computer (laptop) will be working fine as I search the internet and then I will type in a common website and the browser gives me a message about not being able to find or connect to that website. The site could be anything from Yahoo to eBay, but it is always a very common site. The site won't pull up on any browser (I usually use Chrome but I also have Firefox and IE). Here is the weird thing: When I disconnect and reconnect my wireless connection the site then pulls up with no problem. This only happens once every day or two and has only been happening in the last week.

I have run a Malwarebytes scan and it shows no infections. The computer runs flawlessly other than this so I am more confused than anything. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU.

Edited by boopme, 02 August 2010 - 02:48 PM.
Moved to Web Browsing from AII

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchambrin

pchambrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hello, I have made a new topic for this problem because my Title had the word NOW instead of NOT and I felt like that was confusing. Please delete this post if possible. I am very sorry for any confusion or problems. I will trying to use my brain a little more :thumbsup:

Here is the new thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic336711.html

#3 pchambrin

pchambrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

Okay... I think I messed up for sure. My new thread was shut down and this one is still up. I am going to stop doing things now and hope my message is clear even though the title might not be.

Once again, sorry for the confusion.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

See, if same thing happens with wired connection.

Did you try to reinstall wireless adapter driver?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 pchambrin

pchambrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

Thank you for the reply Broni. The problem is that my laptop is not located near the router so it is inconvenient to have it hard wired for as long as it would take to have the problem happen again. Would it be okay if I wired it WHEN the problem happened?

My computer came with an installed wireless card so no I did not try to reinstall the driver. I am not really sure how to, but I am sure I could figure it out, if that could be the cause. It is weird because it has been a day and a half know with ZERO problems. I am confused.

Thank you again for the reply and let me know if wiring the computer WHEN it happens would be okay.

PS: I don't think I made this clear, but when the site is "unreachable", all other websites are still fine. For example, the other day Yahoo was not coming up but Google, eBay, etc... were just fine and pulled up no problem. I don't know if this makes a difference.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

Does it happen in all browsers?

Checking wired connection would test a lot.

To reinstall wireless driver, go to your computer maker site, download fresh driver, uninstall current one (through Device Manager) and install new one.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 pchambrin

pchambrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:00 AM

Yes, is does happen in all browsers. So if I can not access Google for example in Chrome, then I can not access Google in Firefox or IE either.

Can I wait for the problem to happen BEFORE I connect to a wired connection?

In my device manager I see an option to "Update Driver". Is this good or should I just uninstall and reinstall?

Thank you for your help.

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:07 AM

go to command prompt, and type
ipconfig /all

copy/paste the information in the next reply.

Also when the problem happens, instead of resetting try these commands(in command prompt) IN THIS ORDER and see if it starts back working

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Note: After /release you will lose internet connection until you type ipconfig /renew

Edited by NpaMA, 03 August 2010 - 02:08 AM.

#9 pchambrin

pchambrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

To BRONI: I have a desktop that is always wired and when the sites go down on my laptop the desktops still pulls them up. Should I wire the laptop next time I have the problem just to make sure?

Let me know about the Driver Update too when you have the chance. I really appreciate your help.

To NpaMa: I am not home right now but will try this when I am. Question about command prompt (I have never used it, so forgive me for my ignorance): Do you simply type the command in and press enter? I have always assumed this is how it works but like I said, I have never actually used it. Thank you for the help.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

I have a desktop that is always wired and when the sites go down on my laptop the desktops still pulls them up. Should I wire the laptop next time I have the problem just to make sure?

Yeah, it may indicate, that laptop's wireless adapter driver may be corrupted.
Updating non-MS driver through Windows is not a good idea.
As I said, you need to go to your computer maker site to get the driver.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 pchambrin

pchambrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Thanks Broni... I am at work right now but will work on the driver tomorrow for sure. I was poking around the forums and saw that outdated Virus Protection can cause problems opening websites as well. I have an outdated piece of software that I have not uninstalled, maybe that will help?

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

Could be as well.
Outdated AV program is never a good idea...
You can catch some "cold" :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:30 AM

To NpaMa: I am not home right now but will try this when I am. Question about command prompt (I have never used it, so forgive me for my ignorance): Do you simply type the command in and press enter? I have always assumed this is how it works but like I said, I have never actually used it. Thank you for the help.

Yes that is correct.

And to copy/paste:

run the command ipconfig /all (typing what I said and pressing enter) then do this:
right click somewhere on the black screen and select "mark", now highlight everything and press enter. Come to a reply here and press CTRL + V, to paste it.

Edited by NpaMA, 06 August 2010 - 02:31 AM.

#14 pchambrin

pchambrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding Broni and Npa... Oddly enough this problem has not popped up lately so that is why I have not been "working" on it. However, I will do what both of you suggest. I have to apologize, I have an inordinate amount of things going on right now.

I do want to thank you both for taking the time to help. I will be back very soon.

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users