Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freezes on startup

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Freezer Boy

Freezer Boy

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

First I decided to install red alert 3 on my computer, which I haven't had installed since the last time I had to completely wipe everything off my computer due to a virus. It started up fine and when it did it checked for updates and found some patches. I decided to download them and when it was finished it said that it would need to restart my computer. When my computer tried to turn back on it remained on a black screen after it would show the Windows xp loading screen.

I have tried to start using last known good configurations and in safe mode but neither one will start. I noticed on the thread stickied at the top of this forum that this is commonly a video card driver problem, and it recommends to reinstall your video drivers, but I do not know how to do that with this problem. If this helps about 2 months ago I got a new video card because my old one wasn't working anymore and have yet to have a problem with this new one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sleight

Sleight

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

You can try loading in VGA mode. If it's a video card issue it might work. Then uninstall the video drivers, reboot and reinstall the good drivers.

If it doesn't work you could try this:

If you got an onboad video card juste remove your new card and try booting on the onboard adapter else, if you still have your old video card you could try that too.

#3 Freezer Boy

Freezer Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

There is no option to load in vga mode, and I don't think I have an on board one.

#4 Sleight

Sleight

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

For the VGA Mode, if you have windows XP it should be in the same menu as the Safe Mode. Using F8 during boot. It's present in both XP Home and Pro.

state from microsoft "Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode by using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display."

#5 Freezer Boy

Freezer Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

I hit f8 during boot the only options I get are
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Last known good configuration
Start windows normally

No option for vga mode, and I don't think I ever remember seeing that option before.

#6 Freezer Boy

Freezer Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

Nevermind I found vga mode and I'll try it now.

#7 Freezer Boy

Freezer Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

Ok the same thing happens in vga mode. After the Windows xp screen all I get is a black screen.

#8 Sleight

Sleight

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

Ok it's kind of strange that you don't have the VGA Mode option. Where does it stop when you try to boot in safe mode?

edit: didn't saw your other post, does it do the same ting in safe mode freez on a blank black screen?

Edited by Sleight, 02 August 2010 - 12:02 PM.

#9 Freezer Boy

Freezer Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

In safe mode a bunch of white text fills the screen which is how safe mode has always loaded up for me, but now it never gets past that screen.

#10 Sleight

Sleight

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

You can take a look at this : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic288949-15.html

It could be the same for your issue.

If you tell me what's the last line that appear when you load in safe mode it could help me.

The white line are the drivers been loaded by windows xp so it's probably freezing on a faulty driver or a fake driver installed by a virus.

#11 Freezer Boy

Freezer Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

The last line says multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

Also right after that line for about 5 seconds this is shown:

Press esc to cancel loading SPTD.sys

Edited by Freezer Boy, 02 August 2010 - 03:09 PM.

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

try press esc...
dont need to use DAEMON TOOLS on safe mode...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#13 Sleight

Sleight

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Ok here what you can try,

If you have your windows cd boot with it and go to the recovery console.

Once the cd as finish loaded you will have to choice to hit "R" do so it will get you to the recovery console

In there you'll have to selec your OS wich is probably "1" and enter your administrator password.

Once this is done enter the following command: chkdsk /r

This will do a check disk to see if there is any error on the drive file system.

once it's done reboot and see if it work.

You can also disable stpd.sys from there by typing : disable STPD

If still no luck, there is a way to do a system restore from the recovery console but it's at your own risk. You can see the procedure here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

If this doesn't work either I'm out of idea.

#14 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

have you read this at that KB????
When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate
System error: Lsass.exe
When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

if not please read it...
because that kb is for a different issue :thumbsup:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#15 Sleight

Sleight

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

This KB can be use to restore a faultive registry hive. This can be also use to restore the registry hive from the recovery console if you can't access Windows wich is his case.

It explain in detail how to perform a system restore when you can't access windows. I already used this procedure to debug many computer wich were not bootable anymore due to virus infection or a virus removal that turned bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users