Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64-bit Capability?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

I was wondering if someone could tell me if I could use a 64-bit OS if I have 2 32-bit CPUs in a server. My guess is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I would just give it a shot to try to find out, but seeing is that the server is still in use at my work and they may be giving it to me when they are done, I was just wondering. Idk any ideas help would be wonderful thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

if you dont use processor 64 bit and dont use memory 4gb...dont use 64bit OS...
some software doesnt run on 64bit OS...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

Are you talking server software?

If so, just look at the hardware specs for same.

Louis

#4 DVaD

DVaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

I was gonna have one of my coworkers do that since I don't know Novell at all. In anycase Yes I was talking about server software. I plan on putting Server 2008 R2 on the server I get if I can otherwise I'll probably just use Server 2008. I'm just curious to if it were possible to use a 64-bit OS on a Server with CPUs that are 32-bit. I believe the server has 2 CPUs. If it doesn't have 64 bit CPUs I'll probably end up forking out the money to get some, but again it was just out of curiousity whether it were possible or not.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

Well...this is a generalization...but if you have CPUs newer than the P4 era, they probably are 64-bit processors.

See History at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit#History.

Louis

#6 DVaD

DVaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

Well, the processors were made in 2006 or earlier. I believe the 64bit processor for Xeons was set out in 2004, but that doesn't mean it's 64bit. I'm hoping that it will support 64 bit. I guess I'll just have to wait and find out to see if it supports 64-bit when and if I get it.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

The specs for any processor...will also reflect it's capabilities.

Louis

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

I second that.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#9 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

Can we please stop the "64-bit is evil, nothing works!" bit of crap. It is 2010 and issues with 64-bit compatibility are few and far between. Some software does not fully utilize the capabilities of 64-bit computing but very few of it does not work.

Especially since we have compatibility mode allowing virtualization and backwards compatibility on Windows 7 supported at the OS Level.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

The point being: Ideal to invest in 64bit hardware, when you do so for the OS.
More like future-proofing yourself, more importantly extending support for apps that make use of the 64bit architecture.

Some software does not fully utilize the capabilities of 64-bit computing but very few of it does not work.
With 64bit going mainstream, it's just a matter of time.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 August 2010 - 08:49 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#11 DVaD

DVaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

First off I'm talking about using server software and probably gonna end up running a Hyper-V server. Then I'll add a couple different servers in there as well like Server 2008 R2 and Server 2008. Maybe add a server 2003, in any case it's all going to be used for educational purposes only. I'm not really using it in production. I mean maybe once I get accustomed to everything and decide on a way to impliment it I'll run a Hyper-V server put it into production, but this is by no means going to be for a company, maybe a web server at some point.

Lets talk a little more about this 64-bit thing though. I mean yes, 64-bit software has been known to be pretty sketchy over the years, but 32 bit software also had it's flaws in the beginning did it not? I also have to state I used Windows 7 64 bit for a while and that seemed to work great, the only problem I had with it is it didn't fully support VLC media player or some other software such as Alcohol etc. Now I also have seen some issues with XP 64-bit and it's support for some applications such as the AS/400 system that county level government uses. On the other hand when using server based applications, although I have had very limited experience, I would imagine it his far more widely supported and is much more stable. I could be wrong of course, again I've had limited experience. Now even though 64-bit OSes don't have the most support and may not have a ton of 64-bit apps out for them, but when using something that has a high demand for memory such as Auto CAD Civil 3d 2010 I would imagine it's a good idea to use 64-bit OSes. Yes, they have their flaws and weaknesses, but eventually that's all we'll be using so I say stop griping about it and try to figure a way out to help support the development of it to make it go along a bit smoother. At least that's an opinion.

#12 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

some software doesnt run on 64bit OS...

Only 16-bit software is guaranteed not to work. The only other software that might have issues will just have issues working with Windows 7 in general. Software that old should be avoided anyway as it is most likely no longer supported.

Seeing as he doesn't even have a 64-bit capable CPU though it is sort of moot.

Edited by JonM33, 03 August 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#13 DVaD

DVaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

Well, technically, it is possible that the CPUs are 64-bit. I think it's a kind of toss up at the moment. Nobody is around anymore that was here when they ordered the server so nobody knows the exact specs of the server. The database we have for it is pretty vague as well. It tells me the CPU Type and speed. It doesn't mention the core amount or the bit width.

#14 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Tell us what CPUs they are and we can see if it supports x86-64.

#15 DVaD

DVaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

Well, the processors were made in 2006 or earlier. I believe the 64bit processor for Xeons was set out in 2004, but that doesn't mean it's 64bit. I'm hoping that it will support 64 bit. I guess I'll just have to wait and find out to see if it supports 64-bit when and if I get it.

XEONs as posted above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users