Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Mac OSX 10.6

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fryed Bacon

Fryed Bacon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

Okay, so, I'm thinking about completely reinstalling Mac OSX. I have a Macbook Pro, (late summer 2009 model), and I have both original disks that came with my Mac. I don't have the NEED to reinstall, I have the WANT to reinstall, because I mess around with VBOX and stuff, and I think my computer might be slowing down a bit because of it. Before we go into deleting some weird Library files or something like that, here's my plan:

Back up any documents, games, and music. Simple, that's always a first step for me.

Second, make SURE i have everything I need backed up.

Third, boot to the CD.

Fourth, here's where I need help: formatting. What do I format my hard drive as? HFS+, Journalled, what?

Fifth, reboot.

6th, Use the Mac OS X Applications DVD to reinstall all the base Applications, like iLife, you know, all that stuff. Also, does the Applications DVD that came with my Mac have iLife on it?

7th, Restore the backups of my music and games and everything.

8th, Reboot.

9th, Install a few programs I need, like Skype, etc,

10th, I need an application that can fully delete applications, such as AppZapper, but it needs to be free and it needs to work well. IDK if AppZapper is free so..

Final Step: Reboot to my sparkling (metaphorically) Mac!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Well First see here: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Snow_L...nstructions.pdf

If you have any other questions please just ask. :blink: But that should supply most if not all of what you are asking :wacko:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

I don't think you'd need to format the drive since it's already formatted as HFS+. But if you do want to format it just remember to choose GUID Partition Table if the Mac is an intel. Otherwise just do an Erase and Install of OS X.
Sometime after #6 you should run software update to get all the latest updates.

#4 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

Once you have everything installed and functioning
Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup to a DiskImage
This will allow you to restore to this sparkling clean installation in 45 minutes or so.
Both are free and very well reguarded.
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

@davidanders, Good idea i will have to remember that the next time i reinstall OS X on one of mine. :blink:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 Fryed Bacon

Fryed Bacon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:21 AM

My last question is that of AppZapper or something like it. I need something thats free, and i need it to work well. IDK if appzapper is free so...

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

AppZapper is a shareware app that costs $13. Look at some others listed under Deinstallers from here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users